Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new USb superdrive not being recognized on 21.5" 2017 imac

Brand new USB superdrive not being recognized on 21.5" 2017 imac,

tried differrent discs (including apple discs) on flat surface right side up, and unplugged power cord, restarted with and without superdrive plugged in USB port. No go.

tried it on a windows computer, recognizes it and will eject partically inserted disc.

suggestions?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 8:22 AM

how is the drive powered??? If it is buss powered that is likly the problem. iMacs frequently do not output enough power from their USB ports so you need an independent power supply for the USB drive.

10 replies

Jul 15, 2021 1:21 PM in response to chntrucks

If this is the Apple USB SuperDrive you cannot get an independent power supply for it. There is no power-in port for external power.

Apple recommends connecting the drive directly to the computer, no hubs. Why? I don't know. Powered hubs usually work well with the majority of power-hungry USB devices.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Apple's USB SuperDrive has remained unchanged since it was introduced in 2012, yet Apple computers and their ports, and port speeds have continued to evolve. We see a lot of issues reported here with Apple's SuperDrive There are several posted only today.

Had I a need for an external DVD drive, I would go this route:

1) Return the SuperDrive as defective and get a refund.

2) Have a look at this one: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/

It is based on proven drive technology and comes an independent power supply. It also has a USB3 5GB/sec chipset so is about 10X faster the Apple's outdated USB2 0.48GB/sec version. And it's 5 bucks cheaper.

Brand new USb superdrive not being recognized on 21.5" 2017 imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.