Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I use my home internet WiFi calling do I have to pay for my cellular service provider

if I use my home internet WiFi to make calls or send text messages do I still need to pay for my phone service every month?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 12:55 PM

Depends on the type of calls you want to make.

Wi-Fi calling is a carrier feature. So yes, you need to have a cellular service provider that support wi-fi calling to use Wi-Fi calling and send SMS text messages over Wi-Fi.

link-> Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

Alternatively, you can use your home Wi-Fi to make voice over IP callas such as FaceTime, Zoom, Skype, etc.... and send messages such as iMessage, Google Hangouts, Skype etc.. and don't need a cellular service provider for that.

You won't be able to send SMS messages and place cellular based voice calls to non Apple devices without an iPhone and a cellular service contract.

There's also things like Google Phone in the U.S that let you make calls to cellular phones and send SMS messages from a computer, but that requires a plan. with Google as it acts as your carrier for that.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Shannondb36

Depends on the type of calls you want to make.

Wi-Fi calling is a carrier feature. So yes, you need to have a cellular service provider that support wi-fi calling to use Wi-Fi calling and send SMS text messages over Wi-Fi.

link-> Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

Alternatively, you can use your home Wi-Fi to make voice over IP callas such as FaceTime, Zoom, Skype, etc.... and send messages such as iMessage, Google Hangouts, Skype etc.. and don't need a cellular service provider for that.

You won't be able to send SMS messages and place cellular based voice calls to non Apple devices without an iPhone and a cellular service contract.

There's also things like Google Phone in the U.S that let you make calls to cellular phones and send SMS messages from a computer, but that requires a plan. with Google as it acts as your carrier for that.

If I use my home internet WiFi calling do I have to pay for my cellular service provider

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.