Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad cellular usage question

The last Ipad I owned which was 2nd generation had the ability of paying for cellular usage "as needed" thru AT&T. I did not have a monthly plan, when I went somewhere that the wi fi was not good (this was ten years ago) I would click a couple of tabs, my credit card got charged and I had cell service. All I was doing was buying a block of service.

Does Apple still give this option to you if you buy direct from Apple?

I want to buy a newer generation Ipad and would like to get one with cellular service like my last one. I do not want to pay a monthly phone charge, I won't need cellular all the time.

Thanks

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 3:44 PM

Yes.

Recent iPad WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have the ability to provision cellular service directly from iPad settings. Availability of this facility in any region/country is determined by participating cellular carriers/VMNOs (Virtual Mobile Network Operators).

By example:

NB: Devices procured from a Cellular Carrier may be subsidy locked and/or have this feature permanently disabled. Devices purchased directly from Apple are unlocked.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 3:44 PM in response to Wolfy55

Yes.

Recent iPad WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have the ability to provision cellular service directly from iPad settings. Availability of this facility in any region/country is determined by participating cellular carriers/VMNOs (Virtual Mobile Network Operators).

By example:

NB: Devices procured from a Cellular Carrier may be subsidy locked and/or have this feature permanently disabled. Devices purchased directly from Apple are unlocked.

Oct 7, 2021 11:20 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hello,

Thank you for your response. So I am clear, if I go to Apple again to buy a newer generation Ipad with cellular, I can just buy blocks of cellular units for lack of a better word for a given amount of time. I can do this and not have to buy a monthly cellular plan that is active all the time?

I will use cellular 5% of gthe time, wi-fi 95%.

Thank you

Oct 8, 2021 2:42 AM in response to Wolfy55

The plans are whatever the participating carriers in your region are offering - be they time duration, data volume, or both. You will need to research availability of partner carriers for your own region/country.

For an example of what might be available to you, why not try searching for the carriers shown in the screenshot. They may or may not apply to your region.

Filing that, contact you preferred cellular carrier(s) and enquire about pre-paid plans.

Ipad cellular usage question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.