Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is causing so much disk space to be used

Doing a backup using CCCloner and a 1T SandDisk SSD. This would be the 2nd backup on this new external drive. I have formatted it to APSF. My multiple attempts at this 2nd BUp got the message that the disk was full and unable to finish. I tried again but with no safety-net. Still too full. Reformat but still too full. How could this be? My new iMac has 1T fusion HDD and my largest data amts (Pictures & Documents) are saved to iCloud. When I did and info check of my Macintosh HD, it says I've used 884GB!!!! Further investigation shows that the Library in my User folder registers at 727 GB. Where or what is causing this huge disk usage? Is there any way to clean up without having to start from scratch?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 3:28 AM

iCloud is a Conduit / Means to keep files in the cloud to be synced to other Apple Devices using the same Apple ID. It was not intended to be, like an external drive, and used for off - loading files from the hard drive as Storage. Anything loaded to iCloud will resync back to each computer , keeping a copy of the files on the internal drive.

The advantage of iCloud is that files stored on iCloud, changes made from one device will be reflected to ALL Other devices. No need to copy to external drive and move to each other device.

What is happening is expected.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 3:28 AM in response to DJMc

iCloud is a Conduit / Means to keep files in the cloud to be synced to other Apple Devices using the same Apple ID. It was not intended to be, like an external drive, and used for off - loading files from the hard drive as Storage. Anything loaded to iCloud will resync back to each computer , keeping a copy of the files on the internal drive.

The advantage of iCloud is that files stored on iCloud, changes made from one device will be reflected to ALL Other devices. No need to copy to external drive and move to each other device.

What is happening is expected.

Jul 15, 2021 6:52 AM in response to DJMc

It is very unusual for the Library folder to be that huge.

Maybe there are caches or logs that have become “crazy”.

The first thing I would do is to restart in Safe Mode. That may clear some of the caches.

If huge space is still used, we need to confirm where that is.

Press command-shift-G and paste

~/Library

then locate the Caches folder, select and press Command-I, to open the Info window. How big is it?

Jul 15, 2021 2:42 PM in response to PRP_53

I did some web searching and so I stopped icloud and then restarted. That took my library back to @ 15GB. I'm still having some concerns, however. Because I have 2T of space and sharing with my wife only takes an additional 18 GB, I added a folder to my icloud and moved a group of OLD pictures/videos that have been sitting on my iMac's harddrive just taking up space. I then deleted from my HDD after they all uploaded, etc. (275+ GB) After I restarted icloud, all those extra files are trying to upload-from where, I do not know.

What is causing so much disk space to be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.