Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keys of mbp keyboard not working

We need your kind help.

I have a 13 inches MBP mid-2012 with an unfunctional keyboard. To be used this MBP I need to password sing in. I also have a wireless keyboard (WK) connected to a Mac mini

In following Grant Bennet-Alder kind suggestion to Lucar21, and when my MBP was still on, I was able to connect it to my WK and type. Prompted by an urgency to use my mac mini, I turned off the MBP and reconnect the WK to my mac mini. While trying to use the WK again on the MBP, I could not type the password sign in because the keyboard was not duly connected to the laptop. My understanding is that to be able to use this keyboard again, I need to type the password to be able to sign in and then use System Preferences. Is there I way I could circumvent the password sig in?

Also, could you be so kind to suggest a link to a reliable place or brand to get a keyboard replacement?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 10:57 AM

Yes… hi, Arti21, i can help

you… any brand of USB wired keyboard will work with your Mac. Wireless/bluetooth keyboards tend to be problematic for login/troubleshooting. So just plug it in and away you go. Of course, getting the built in keyboard repaired would be nice, but that may not be practical . It’d definitely cost some money, though…

john b

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Arti21

Yes… hi, Arti21, i can help

you… any brand of USB wired keyboard will work with your Mac. Wireless/bluetooth keyboards tend to be problematic for login/troubleshooting. So just plug it in and away you go. Of course, getting the built in keyboard repaired would be nice, but that may not be practical . It’d definitely cost some money, though…

john b

Jul 15, 2021 1:59 PM in response to Arti21

You’re welcome, Arti21. Any wired usb keyboard will work, Mac or Pc.. doesn’t really matter.. ie, if you had a ps3, and you bought a keyboard for it, or someone threw it in/ included it when you bought the ps3, chances are it’ll work. I even used a usb wired keyboard i found out in my local dumpster.. no huge problem.. for basic use/troubleshooting, it was fine… i can’t recommend a bluetooth/wireless keyboard as i don’t use one, but i have a nice heavy wired mechanical usb “Das Keyboard” and a kensington Trackball.. it really depends on what you like, and what feels right to you..

john b

keys of mbp keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.