Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Smart mailbox reports phantom Unread messages?

Using Catalina 10.15.7.

Smart Mailbox whose only filter is "unread", shows count of 2 Unread messages, but none in display window.

A second Smart Mailbox, whose filter is only a narrow receipt date, shows an unread message count of 2, but no unread messages.

I've rebuilt the mailboxes and deleted the Envelope Index files and allowed the system to rebuild.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 9:36 AM

Hi RocStrada,

We see you have some questions about the unread email count in the smart mailbox, and we'd like to see if we can help out.

We saw you tried rebuilding the mailboxes, but have you also been able to try disabling and re-enabling your email account in the app? Details on that here, if needed: If an email account is inactive in Mail on Mac

If that doesn't help, try quitting the Mail app fully, and restart into safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Take care.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 9:36 AM in response to RocStrada

Hi RocStrada,

We see you have some questions about the unread email count in the smart mailbox, and we'd like to see if we can help out.

We saw you tried rebuilding the mailboxes, but have you also been able to try disabling and re-enabling your email account in the app? Details on that here, if needed: If an email account is inactive in Mail on Mac

If that doesn't help, try quitting the Mail app fully, and restart into safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Take care.

Jul 16, 2021 11:20 AM in response to Eric_G1

Thanks, Eric_G1,

I have the filter currently set to show Unread less than 5 days old, and the phantom unread messages have fallen off the end. If I expand the time window, they reappear, but the likelihood of having old, unread messages that I need to see is really, really small, so I'll keep the time filter on.

I may try to de-activate/re-activate the account, just to see if I can narrow it down.

Dave

Mac Mail Smart mailbox reports phantom Unread messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.