Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dictionary

How can I disable or get rid of the dictionary? I don't want it, it pops up right in the middle of things, and when I need a dictionary I go online.

I'm running Big Sur, 11.4 on a Macbook Air.

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 10:08 AM

Hello Marguerite Floyd,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are looking for some information on how to disable the Dictionary on your MacBook. We are happy to help.

To start, try going to the Apple menu () > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. Once there, choose the Services option from the left bar, then scroll down to the "Searching" section and un-check the "Look up in Dictionary" selection to see if that stops the behavior.

Keep us updated on how it goes, we hope this information helps.

Best Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 10:08 AM in response to Marguerite Floyd

Hello Marguerite Floyd,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are looking for some information on how to disable the Dictionary on your MacBook. We are happy to help.

To start, try going to the Apple menu () > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts. Once there, choose the Services option from the left bar, then scroll down to the "Searching" section and un-check the "Look up in Dictionary" selection to see if that stops the behavior.

Keep us updated on how it goes, we hope this information helps.

Best Regards.

dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.