You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this a bug or something

Why does my iPhone 11 pro max sometimes not play the notification sound (sometimes while I'm using the phone) or even the banner at times when i get texts I recently noticed that i been missing texts and I'm thinking i just didn't hear it but I'll literally have my phone in my hand unlocked while watching tv ill see the banner drop....NO SOUND....and then my ipad dose it correctly and i hear the sound and see the screen light up..why is it muted sometimes **** is annoying

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 5:31 PM

This is part of the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings Accessibility Face ID & Attention Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2021 5:31 PM in response to Jrocc1124

This is part of the Attention Aware Feature of the iPhone. When the iPhone has your attention while you are looking at the screen (typing, reading websites or working with an app), then it automatically reduces the sound because it knows you are looking right at it so no need to issue loud notifications.

You can turn this feature off if you want by opening Settings Accessibility Face ID & Attention Attention Aware Feature set this to OFF.

Axel F.

Jul 28, 2021 5:05 PM in response to Jrocc1124

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Is this a bug or something

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.