Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch requires update on setup

I have just bought a Apple Watch series 2. I’m trying to pair it to my iPhone XS. But am having issues getting past the update phase.

to run you through the setup

1. Pairing both Watch and iPhone (successful, they detect each other)
  2. phone states the Watch needs requires an update.
  3. I hit the ‘update’ button.
  4. phone says ‘to update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone.’

my phone is up to date.

can someone please suggest a fix to this!!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 3:28 AM

That is likely due to incompatibility between that older watchOS version and the current iOS 14 on your iPhone. There are situations when this iOS is no longer able to complete the update for all those back level versions of watchOS any more.

Unless you happen to have access to an old iPhone with iOS 12 on it somewhere, it is best to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple store and ask if they can complete that update for you.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 3:28 AM in response to MTechE60

That is likely due to incompatibility between that older watchOS version and the current iOS 14 on your iPhone. There are situations when this iOS is no longer able to complete the update for all those back level versions of watchOS any more.

Unless you happen to have access to an old iPhone with iOS 12 on it somewhere, it is best to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple store and ask if they can complete that update for you.

Apple Watch requires update on setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.