Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing added subtitles file with movie

I have a movie and a subtitle (SRT) file. They are not synced because I got the SRT file separately. Rather than going through and changing the timing of the SRT file itself, I though it would be easier to simply move the entire subtitle time line, but I can't seem to select ALL of the subtitles time line and move ie.

So I thought I could either CLIP the video to match the timeline (lots of time at the beginning), OR add GAPS to lengthen the beginning to re-sync the two files. However, when I SHARE it, the syncing does not line up.

Can you give me some step by step strategy on how to sync the SUBTITLE FILE with the main video timeline? I would think that this would be a common issue for subtitling foreign language movies.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 9:27 AM

Yes.

The srt file is time based: every caption has a timing.

Once a caption is added to the timeline, it, like clips, is connected to what is in the primary storyline at that point.

So when you added the gap, the captions shifted.

If, on the other hand, the gap was already there, the captions when imported will fall on the right place and stay there.

You can even delete the gap afterwards.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 9:27 AM in response to usndoc

Yes.

The srt file is time based: every caption has a timing.

Once a caption is added to the timeline, it, like clips, is connected to what is in the primary storyline at that point.

So when you added the gap, the captions shifted.

If, on the other hand, the gap was already there, the captions when imported will fall on the right place and stay there.

You can even delete the gap afterwards.

Syncing added subtitles file with movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.