Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple Maps on the Mac connected to iCloud anymore?

I use my MacBook Pro for work. I use my iPhone when I have to. I like using the Maps app on my computer. But now, it seems that the option to save to iCloud or sync to my iPhone does NOT work anymore. I do not have any options for Maps under iCloud.com OR iCloud in my Mac's System Preferences. What is going on? My iPhone seems to think Maps works with iCloud as it is shown in its settings. Yet, when I log into iCloud.com there is no Maps app available.....!

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 3:49 PM

Well, I hate to break it to you. The functionality works across OS versions. In maps, you should still be able to send to your iPhone. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-maps-on-your-mac-to-get-directions-iph489e7f2e5/ios and share and send individually "found" locations.

To my knowledge, maps has never been available on iCloud.com. The functionality just works behind the scenes through iCloud.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 3:49 PM in response to Laszona

Well, I hate to break it to you. The functionality works across OS versions. In maps, you should still be able to send to your iPhone. https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-maps-on-your-mac-to-get-directions-iph489e7f2e5/ios and share and send individually "found" locations.

To my knowledge, maps has never been available on iCloud.com. The functionality just works behind the scenes through iCloud.

Jul 16, 2021 3:34 PM in response to MrHoffman

Everything is set up correctly. Everything is there. It is all correct.

However, I realize now that I am probably going to find out this has something to do with my devices and the OS they are using. Ugh again and again...

It is so frustrating for Apple to constantly force me to upgrade immediately when a new version of any OS is released. It comes too quickly and then if I don't upgrade everything right away, then everything starts to break. It is SO annoying.

And so, I bet. I believe that I will be told that I need to get the most absolute recent version of Mac OS to be able to do anything.

SLOW DOWN....! Apple. Jeez

And please verify that I am right. I won't be able to test this theory immediately because I cannot upgrade my Mac immediately. My iPhone is 100% up-to-date with iOS. My Mac is not. And it most-likely never will be within a minimum of 6 months after a major Mac OS upgrade is rolled out. I can't afford the changes on my business computer without making sure I will be able to continue EVERY SINGLE THING I do on my Mac. Too many times I have had software break because of an early upgrade.

If I am incorrect,. help me fix my issue. But then, knowing Apple, I am probably right about the OS versions and sync capability. STOP BREAKING THINGS!!!

Am I on the right track.....?

Jul 17, 2021 5:37 PM in response to Laszona

Yes, you can certainly sync your favorites between devices.

There is no Maps selection in your settings on your Mac, you simply need to be logged into your Apple ID and into iCloud.

There is a toggle on your iPhone or other Apple device for iCloud settings for Maps. Toggle that on.

Now your favorites will sync between your devices.

Search for a location in Maps on your Mac. Once found, click on the three dots ... next to the location, and add to favorites.

In a few seconds, the location will appear in your favorites on your phone. You can also add a favorite from your phone. or by using the "+" icon next to favorites in your Maps sidebar.

Jul 16, 2021 3:52 PM in response to muguy

When I log into iCould.com, there is no Maps app there. It is not there

It is also not in my System Preferences->Apple ID->iCloud. It is not there

The ONLY place I see Maps is on my iPhone in Settings->iCloud. There are DOZENS of apps listed there ad they are ALL open to use with iCloud. But on the web, the list of apps is even smaller and Maps is not there on any device Safari->iCloud.com

Jul 16, 2021 4:11 PM in response to Laszona

Correct. There is no maps app in iCloud.com. Maps has never been part of iCloud online.

The settings on your phone simply indicate that you are using iCloud to synchronize across devices. Most of the apps listed have no online counterpart in iCloud.com. This settings enable favorites to be synched across devices, enable sharing of maps locations directly to your device, or store small pieces of data accessible to the app across your device.

Jul 17, 2021 5:03 PM in response to muguy

Ok. Then back to my original issue...

Maps & iCloud settings on my Mac do not exist. I was told over and over again that I can sync my Maps between my Mac & my iPhone. It is posted ALL OVER THE INTERNET. But then above I was told that it doesn't work.

Well, which is it?

I cannot sync my Mac Maps with my iPhone Maps. There is no Maps in any iCloud settings or anywhere else on my Mac. It appears to be a completely stand-alone application. I cannot sync Maps between my Mac and my iPhone. They don't talk to each other at all

Is there a solution OTHER THAN forcing me to upgrade my computer before I can sync? Is it possible? I do not see that it is possible at all.

Any thoughts?

Jul 17, 2021 5:44 PM in response to muguy

Thank you for your enthusiuasm about me being able to do what I have said I cannot do.

It would be awesome if what you said actually worked in my siutuation.

However, like I said in my very first post here...

IT DOESN'T WORK

My Mac had favorites I have saved. My iPhone still does not show those favorites.

So, again... does anyone else have ideas that aren't just telling me to do what I have already done. That does not solve my problem.

They do not sync

Jul 17, 2021 6:00 PM in response to Laszona

First I'd try adding favorites on each device and seeing if it shows on the other in a few minutes.

I'd try toggling off iCloud on your phone and then enabling it.

Or, try logging out of iCloud on both devices and then logging back in.

I'd verify that I'm using the same Apple ID (sometimes folks use different ones).

Then I'd restart both devices.

Short of all of that, you can simply elect to send to device, instead of add to favorites. Then open it on your device and add as a favorite there. An extra step, to be sure, but the same end result.

While it's usually a good idea to update your device to the latest OS, map sync has been around for a while so it shouldn't matter much what you're running. Probably iOS 13+ is best and 10.13+ on Mac.

Is Apple Maps on the Mac connected to iCloud anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.