Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete macOS Mojave.app

Hi,

I'm having an issue trying to delete this Mojave installer. I had previously downloaded it to make a USB installer for another computer. I am running 11.4.

If I put it in the trash and try to empty the trash, I get this error message: "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Install macOS Mojave.app” is in use."

I've tried to control+click it and select Delete Immediately and I get this message: "The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again."

When I Get Info on it, the file is not locked, and I have set all the permissions to read and write. This has not helped.

I tried using Terminal with sudo rm -R with no success.

I have restarted and tried all methods again, still no success.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 10:58 AM

You need to boot into Recovery Mode, disable SIP by running "csrutil disable" in the Terminal. Restart then delete the file. Then you should reboot into Recovery Mode again, re-enable SIP by typing "csrutil enable" in the Terminal, then restart again.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 17, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Sean C. Carter

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if you can delete the app. Sometimes just simply restarting the Mac can solve the problem, but not always if a .dmg file is automatically remounted.

Since the command line "rm" command was unable to delete the "InstallESD.dmg" file, then that may mean this archive is still currently mounted. Try using the command line "mount' command to see what items are currently mounted. It can be difficult even using the command line to unmount a drive or virtual volume (using the "hdiutil detatch" on the mounted virtual volume has worked a few times) and a system reboot is many times the only way.

Cannot delete macOS Mojave.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.