Can't delete "Install macOS Mojave.app (5.54 GB)"

System

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Processor 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

macOS Monterey Version 12.7.1 (21G920)

Problem

I moved "Install macOS Mojave 17.56.13.app" to the Trash which I attempted emptying but received this message:

The operation can't be completed because some items had to

be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure

"Locked" is deselected, and then check the Sharing &

Permissions section. When you are sure the items are

unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try

again.

However, Show Package Contents only indicates one item, the InstallESD.dmg, and Get Info shows:

• Locked is deselected ✓
  • system is "Read & Write" ✓
  • wheel and everyone are "Read only" that I don't have permission to change ❌

Question

How can I delete this 5.54 GB app, please?

Thank you!

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 3:55 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and deleting from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2023 3:55 PM in response to Faulty-from-the-Factory-iMac

Try booting into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and deleting from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Nov 8, 2023 6:40 AM in response to dialabrain

Eureka! Disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP) was the answer that allowed me to delete Install macOS Mojave.app!

I thoroughly considered Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection and, recognizing the risk involved, prepared my own simplified instructions (attached) which kept me out of serious trouble. I was so relieved to have finally deleted this huge (5.54 GB) file that I subconsciously dismissed it as "problem solved" then, following Shut Down, booted my iMac and by rote began login. Fortunately, even though it was late and I was exhausted, I needed to do something with the printed copy of my simplified instructions and happened to notice the large (red) "Warning" which reminded me enable SIP first! PHEW!

Thank you, very much, for your answer!

Nov 8, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Faulty-from-the-Factory-iMac

Faulty-from-the-Factory-iMac wrote:

I thoroughly considered Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection and, recognizing the risk involved, prepared my own simplified instructions (attached) which kept me out of serious trouble.

I forgot to ask, since your instructions are identical to those in the link, how are they "simplified"?

Nov 8, 2023 5:17 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ultimately, disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP) was required to delete the 5.54 GB "Install macOS Mojave 17.56.13.app" however, prior to disabling SIP, I attempted your suggestion because it's a much safer, and therefore preferable, method.

I also thank you for your wise recommendation to connect a wireless keyboard prior to booting in Safe Mode!

Can't delete "Install macOS Mojave.app (5.54 GB)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.