Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS file dialog (open & save) won't open on any app or System Settings

It's been two weeks now that on my MacBook Pro 2021 with macOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68), no file dialog open. Finder does work though, which I thought could have been the issue.

It doesn't work to select a file to open, nor it does to select where you want to save a file. It doesn't work in any applications from Apple or 3rd parties. It also doesn't work in the System Settings, where, as one example, you want to add an application to a specific privacy permission. It does not even work when I reboot in safe mode. In summary, it just don't open ever. When I try, the application just become unresponsive for a couple of minutes, and is back to being usable after a while.

I don't remember if I installed or changes something just before it happens... I tried to reinstall macOS without formatting my hard disk, and it fixed the issue for a couple of hours, but the problem came back. Nothing else worked so far (some are my ideas, some are from others who have/had that issue):

• Obviously, I tried to reboot my laptop more than once.
  • I run First Aid from the Disk Utility in Recovery Mode.
  • Tried to give app full disk permission even if I was sure it couldn't be my problem as even System Settings can't open the file dialog.
  • I meticulously look at all running processes, nothing suspicious.
  • I look at everything that is persistent on my laptop using KnockKnock, and nothing unwanted.
  • I checked if any unwanted app or process were intercepting my keystrokes using ReiKey. It wouldn't be the problem, but could indicate something is wrong.
  • I ran a Dylib Hijack Scanner, nothing there also.
  • I even ran an antivirus!

Right now I can use tools that let me drop files instead of using the file dialog, and use any web version to save file as the browser just automatically download them in the download folder, which is working. Those are workaround, which are still making that situation super annoying.

I think it's a macOS issue, but it doesn't seem to have any specific report for this version. My next step is to format the disk, and do a clean install, but I would prefer to avoid that! Any ideas of what to check next, how to maybe fix the problem or just what is the issue?

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 5:01 AM

When will Apple show up with a real solution to this issue? This is not a small thing - every time this happens, I have to re-boot my Mac to continue working properly (no file dialog is quite an impediment). It's ridiculous, makes me feel like I own a 500 Dollar Windows 95 machine...

Similar questions

15 replies

Nov 14, 2023 11:56 PM in response to AlexK87

Hi,

I finally found something that solved the problem, and it's a bit less drastic than a complete reinstall :-). Just log out of your iCloud account and log back in again. I assume some iCloud interaction was hanging and prevented the file dialogs from showing.

Worked for me, may not be the same for other problems, but at least it's easy & non-destructive to try.

Note that patience may be required: when I figured out this could be the cause and wanted to try it, not even the iCloud settings wanted to come up, I rebooted - not sure if this was necessary - and still the settings did not immediately come up when I clicked the tab. After clicking some other settings tabs, going back to the iCloud settings & waiting they finally did, some timeout I guess.

Xaf

Mar 24, 2023 2:42 PM in response to Frédéric Harper

Hey Frédéric Harper,

Those are some excellent steps that you took on your own already. At this point, we do recommend that you try formatting the disk and do a clean install of macOS to see if it helps.

Be sure to back up your data before performing a clean install as it will remove all your important data.

If the issue still persists even after a clean install, we suggest that you reach out to Apple Support team next for further assistance: Contact Apple for support and service

We hope everything works out!

Best regards.

Nov 14, 2023 10:42 AM in response to AlexK87

I tried the update to 14.1.1 but it didn't help. I created an extra account on my macbook to check if that one could access file dialogs & it seems it can. So something specific for my user account is causing opening file dialogs to hang... but what? Some setting? Some file? File system integrity?

macOS file dialog (open & save) won't open on any app or System Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.