Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey OS no longer saves ?!?!? (M1Mini2020)

Hello there!

Below was my original posting onto the audio forums, because I have found this issue while working in Pro Tools. But later I have confirmed the system to be having corrupt permissions of some sort. I can not save anything - the "SAVE" or "SAVE AS" buttons are greyed out and unclickable.. Updating from 12.1 or 12.3 to 12.5.1 did nothing. I use an M1 ARM Mac Mini 2020 16/512 and look for a way to safely reinstall the system.. A lot has changed since Snow Leopard lol, but honestly since the new OS came out. PLEASE HELP!! GOT WORK TO DO!

Original issues described by me in an online community:

"PART 1: Im using PT for a long time. But I had a new error appear a few months ago. I was able to once fix the issue by saving/deleting/rebuilding/loading all the settings via PT PREFS app and that was the only way that helped me. Pretty much same as reinstalling and waiting for tons of plugins to validate again..Everything seems to work normal, until you decide to:• Save normally ("save" button grayed out)• Save As ("save as" button grayed out)• Choose a folder for importing the audio ("open" grayed out)This is terrifyingly inconvenient! The last time Ive had this has made me literally wait for auto backup save (these worked somehow), before closing the session, otherwise I would lose everything made.

PART 2: Nothing seems to help. I was avoiding the issue altogether, but.. when needed to create a new session - I simply can not do it.Running Pro Tools 2020.12 without major issues, even its not listen as being supported on the charts. Monterey 12.3 installed, trying to update to 12.5, because this time nothing from the past fixes have helped: PTPrefs clean, reinstall etc.I have no idea if PT is gonna run after the update. Just keeping my fingers crossed and I hope I wont have to buy the new Pro Tools..

PART 3: Just installed an OSX 12.5.1 latest update. Pro Tools Has not stopped its thing. I guess I need further digging and reinstalling also does not help..Ive checked attributes/permissions, made a copy and reset them via BATCHMOD.app that does this in batch.I tried giving it every permission in the security settings.

NOTHING HELPS!!! Appreciate your help!!"

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 3:38 PM

Please follow these steps to fix:

• Go to Mac HD › Users › YourUserFolder (home icon) › Documents› Pro Tools;

• Use "Get Info" on the Pro Tools folder in those user Documents.

• An info window will pop up on the lower left-hand corner. Click the lock icon to make changes and enter Administrator password if required.

• Set Privileges to "Read & Write" for your User account. Click the drop down menu through the icon and choose "Apply to enclosed items...". Click the lock icon again to prevent further changes.

• Inside the same "Pro Tools" folder locate the "Project Cache" folder and do the same procedure on it, make sure your user name can both read and write;

• Restart your Mac, try creating the project once more - should work now!

Now that the folders' User permissions have been changed. Pro Tools will be able to access the Project Cache folder for creating and opening Projects!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 3:38 PM in response to robertryda

Please follow these steps to fix:

• Go to Mac HD › Users › YourUserFolder (home icon) › Documents› Pro Tools;

• Use "Get Info" on the Pro Tools folder in those user Documents.

• An info window will pop up on the lower left-hand corner. Click the lock icon to make changes and enter Administrator password if required.

• Set Privileges to "Read & Write" for your User account. Click the drop down menu through the icon and choose "Apply to enclosed items...". Click the lock icon again to prevent further changes.

• Inside the same "Pro Tools" folder locate the "Project Cache" folder and do the same procedure on it, make sure your user name can both read and write;

• Restart your Mac, try creating the project once more - should work now!

Now that the folders' User permissions have been changed. Pro Tools will be able to access the Project Cache folder for creating and opening Projects!

Monterey OS no longer saves ?!?!? (M1Mini2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.