FCPX HELP - The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied. “Library Name” is already in use by “name” on “name-imac.local”.

FCPX HELP - The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied. “Library Name” is already in use by “name name” on “name-macbook-pro.local”.

I am using an external hard drive to edit my videos. Everything was getting slower. Noticed the external hard drive was full and when I attempted to start deleting files, FCPX crashed. When trying to reload the app, I got the message.

Things that I have tried and failed:

Gave full access to FCPX on System Preferences

Restarted the computer

Sharing and Permissions>>Ignore Ownership on this volume

Please help!

Mac Pro (2023)

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 1:39 AM

Quit FCP if it is running.

In the Finder, control-click the affected library and choose Show Package Contents.

Press Command-Shift-period to have Finder show hidden files.

You should see one folder and two files with names starting with .lock

Drag them to the trash, but don’t change anything else inside the library.

Close the contents and double-click the library to open in FCP.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2023 1:39 AM in response to jojano3

Quit FCP if it is running.

In the Finder, control-click the affected library and choose Show Package Contents.

Press Command-Shift-period to have Finder show hidden files.

You should see one folder and two files with names starting with .lock

Drag them to the trash, but don’t change anything else inside the library.

Close the contents and double-click the library to open in FCP.

Oct 5, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, I quit FCP. It's on an external drive, and "Ignore Ownership" is checked. Thanks for the reply, though.

And thank you, Luis. The info on the drive says "Mac OS Extended".

It won't move anything from the FCPX library; it just copies it. I also can't delete anything from the library.

I'm using FCPX 10.6.5; my machine uses Big Sur, 11.7.

Oct 6, 2023 6:07 AM in response to TNGWB

Something seems to be very wrong. The Get Info says the library is about 500 GB (by the way, this is a big indication that you should probably delete generated files, and also consider using external media).

Finder lists the library as being only 16 bytes.

It seems to me that there is some corruption in this drive.

I'd make sure to have copies somewhere else, to begin with; then use Disk Utility to try and verify and repair this drive.

Oct 6, 2023 6:48 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, this is about 80 hours of work, jammed up here. I identified the problem files, but can't delete them, for some reason. I've copied some of the files, but it's the FCP projects... a major gig for me. If I could copy the library to another external drive I could re-format this one. So, I'd like to be able to clone some projects instead of creating them from scratch. Is there any way to unlock the library, which has a few corrupted files?

Oct 7, 2023 10:54 AM in response to TNGWB

Thanks for everyone's help! I solved my problem, mostly.

Here is what I did:

I had an earlier version of my library, created when there was an issue and FCPX created one. I copied it to another drive, as the latest version of the library wouldn't let me copy the whole library.

I replaced files in the earlier version with all the uncorrupted files from the problem library, and this worked. Then I duplicated the "working" "updated" library on another drive, for safety, and deleted the problem library, and re-formatted the drive it was on.

This took a long time to copy, but now I've got a nearly-complete library, without the corrupted files, and it seems to work just fine.

I determined which were the corrupted files by copying each folder that would copy, and looked into the ones that wouldn't. All the corrupted files displayed "zero bytes" of memory (not sure everyone's corrupted files will display this way). The corrupted files were all in "Render Files" (some were in "High Quality Media" and some in "Thumbnail Media" folders in the "Render Files" folder).

I've been using FCPX for more than a decade, but don't grasp "consolidate the media outside the library." I suppose I need to watch a tutorial. But for now, I'm back in action.

Thanks again!

FCPX HELP - The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied. “Library Name” is already in use by “name” on “name-imac.local”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.