Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPx 10.6 Permission Denied File Already in Use - cannot open any libraries

I started getting a warning while working on an FCPX project: “[Library name]” could not be opened. Permission denied. “[Library name]” is already in use by “[admin name]” on “[name]-imac.local”. Now I can't open any libraries. I saw this same question from someone back on Jan. 6. 2021 with some suggestions but no solution confirmed. I've tried the suggestions: restarted my mac and deleted FCPX preferences and I gave FCPX Full Disc Access in System Preferences, but the problem remains. Any thoughts? I'm on a 2020 iMac. Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:13 AM

It looks like you failed to activate the showing of hidden files.

If you look at any folders in your mac, do you see some files greyed out (probably with names starting with a period)? If you don’t see any, then maybe you didn’t press Command-Shift-period (that is, holding down the Command key and the Shift key, type a period). The change in Finder display of any folder should be apparent when you do that.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 6:13 AM in response to sandypardee

It looks like you failed to activate the showing of hidden files.

If you look at any folders in your mac, do you see some files greyed out (probably with names starting with a period)? If you don’t see any, then maybe you didn’t press Command-Shift-period (that is, holding down the Command key and the Shift key, type a period). The change in Finder display of any folder should be apparent when you do that.

Nov 4, 2021 7:24 AM in response to terryb

Hi Terry. Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and the drive was indeed maxed out. I had checked not too long ago and thought I had plenty of room but apparently I need to check more often. I moved a bunch of older files to another drive and everything appears to be working. So often it is the simple answer that works. Many thanks for the quick and correct reply!

Nov 4, 2021 4:17 AM in response to sandypardee

If you had those libraries opened at some point and the application crashed, it is possible that some lock files were left behind.

With the application NOT running, control-click on one of the libraries and choose Show Package Contents.

Press Command-Shift-period to show hidden files.

You should see two files .lock and .lock-info, and one folder .lock-dir

Drag these three out of the package, leave them on the desktop for now.

Do NOT change anything else inside the package.

Try opening the library. If it works, you can trash the lock files, and repeat for the other libraries.

Nov 4, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

You're right. I missed holding down the period. However, as you will see from my reply to terryb, the problem turned out to be simply a maxed out drive. I've removed a number of files and that cleared the problem up for me. Many thanks, though, for your response and followup. I'll try to be better at following instructions in the future.

FCPx 10.6 Permission Denied File Already in Use - cannot open any libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.