Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Screensavers generate Out of Application Memory Errors and hard reboots on M1 Macs with Big Sur 11.4

I'm a photography and one of the main reasons I got the M1 Mac Mini was to use the Photo Wall screensavers on a TV 24/7. Since the Big Sur 11.4 update, I have been getting constant out of application memory errors and reboots on both the M1 Mac Mini and M1 Macbook Air (both 8GB) after a few minutes of any of the Photos screensavers running. I have it to set to use my favorites folder in Photos and have a lot of large images in the library (up to 61MB RAW per file), but it always worked fine pre 11.4. Looks like there's some glitch where the screensaver isn't releasing images from memory after they are displayed because it always starts out of fine, then images begin being replaced by blacked out images, then the computer either reboots or generates out of memory error.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 2:02 PM

The Photo Wall worked with the earlier versions of Big Sur, correct?

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Also, have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Macs?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2021 2:02 PM in response to James Koutoulas

The Photo Wall worked with the earlier versions of Big Sur, correct?

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Also, have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Macs?

Photos Screensavers generate Out of Application Memory Errors and hard reboots on M1 Macs with Big Sur 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.