Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screensaver issue

First time on this forum.

I'm running on a 2020 iMac 21" with 16GB of ram and a fusion drive and a MacBook Air (Retina, 13 inch, 2018). This problem happens on both systems. This issue happened with 11.0.1 and is still happening with 11.1.

Since updating to Big Sur I find that about half the time I start Screensaver (using either a hot corner or letting the system time out) it can't find my Photos Library. I'm using the Classic screensaver.

The screen goes black, the time is displayed and it says "Loading Photos...". After 10 to 15 seconds it will say "No photos". Move the mouse, sign back on, put the mouse in the corner and there's a good chance it will find the photos and start displaying them.

Does anyone know anyway to increase the amount of time that Screensaver uses to find the library? Not the time between pics but the amount of time Screensaver is given to locate the Library. Is this a known bug or just my system? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 11:37 AM

Are you by any chance using iCloud Photos and "Optimise Mac Storage"? Then Photos may need to download your screensaver photos from iCloud. It might be faster to export the screensaver photos to a folder outside the library, so they are instantly available.

2 replies

screensaver issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.