Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo folder/library based screensaver broken in Monterey

I upgraded to Monterey, and the same photo folder that worked fine as my screensaver is no longer working. It shows the thumbnail in preview section only when you change folder or a setting, but clicking preview doesn't load anything.

Screensaver doesn't work either if photo folder is used.

For my MacBook Air 2017, word of the day screensaver, is working only

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 11:04 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 30, 2021 12:50 PM in response to Sundeep_Starone

Hello Sundeep_Starone and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty with the photos function of the screensaver since updating to macOS Monterey.

In order to ensure that this is not a broken directory link issue, you may want to try moving the photos to a newly created folder and then set that as the source as outlined here:

Use a screen saver on your Mac

If you take that step and continue to have this issue, reach out directly to Apple Support for additional options.

Contact Apple for support and service

Cheers.

Oct 30, 2021 12:59 PM in response to revbill222

Hi Rev,

I have tried importing all those same photos in PHOTOS library in a new folder and using that. Same issue persists.

I have seen multiple people reporting same so it seems related to new OS. I could be wrong.

I can provide more details like - the preview pane thumbnail doesn't load by default when you go into the screensaver option. You need to change any setting like folder etc to make thumbnail appear.

Then when you can see the screensaver thumbnail showing an image from the folder, the preview loads a black screen, or a screen with dimmed image in a black foreground.

Nov 3, 2021 12:38 PM in response to revbill222

Finally, seems like some issue with licensing or product use. I am now getting this message on the screensaver on my MacBook Air 2017 on Monterey:

You cannot use the iLifeSlideshows screen saver with this version of macOS.

Please contact the vendor to get a new version of the screen saver.

Its a shame that even the customer support is not aware of such a licensing kind of issue in a major OS release of Apple.

Photo folder/library based screensaver broken in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.