Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move or copy items: Hello ! I am getting issue to move or copy a folder from the MAC Air to a External Drive.. Please can you help me ?

Helps to assist move or copy a folder from the MAC Air to a External Drive.

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 5:13 AM

The External Drive needs to formatted to a Filing System the computer will understand. Usually, new drives are formatted as new with either a Windows format of NTFS or maybe Fat 32 or exFat. Apple computer can Read and Write to exFat and Fat32 drives. Apple can Only Read NTFS drives and can not write to this drive without special Software installed.

To verify the External Drive file format - in Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. Look for the Upper Most Name of the drive. Example - the drive is from Seagate - look for the name Seagate. On the right see what filing system it formatted as. If you are going to ONLY use this drive with Apple Computer - suggest formatting as HFS Journaled and with the GUID Partition Map.

All Above done, with the External Drive attached to Apple Computer - it should show on the Desktop as an Icon. Now just Drag and Drop the Folder from its' location directly to the Icon on the Desktop. You can only copy a folder under your Direct Control and can not copy System Folder to External Drive. The OS will not allow this.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 5:13 AM in response to jpaulkaz

The External Drive needs to formatted to a Filing System the computer will understand. Usually, new drives are formatted as new with either a Windows format of NTFS or maybe Fat 32 or exFat. Apple computer can Read and Write to exFat and Fat32 drives. Apple can Only Read NTFS drives and can not write to this drive without special Software installed.

To verify the External Drive file format - in Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. Look for the Upper Most Name of the drive. Example - the drive is from Seagate - look for the name Seagate. On the right see what filing system it formatted as. If you are going to ONLY use this drive with Apple Computer - suggest formatting as HFS Journaled and with the GUID Partition Map.

All Above done, with the External Drive attached to Apple Computer - it should show on the Desktop as an Icon. Now just Drag and Drop the Folder from its' location directly to the Icon on the Desktop. You can only copy a folder under your Direct Control and can not copy System Folder to External Drive. The OS will not allow this.

Move or copy items: Hello ! I am getting issue to move or copy a folder from the MAC Air to a External Drive.. Please can you help me ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.