Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy cassette tapes to a Mac

How do I play and copy cassette tapes to mp3 on a Mac. I tried plugging into the USB port, I select external source input from sound settings and select “built-in” speakers for my output. My input level bar shows good sound level but I hear no sound. This had been easy to do on older Mac with audio inputs but the new Mac doesn’t seem to handle USB audio inputs very well.

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 3:53 AM

7 replies

Jul 24, 2021 12:20 PM in response to DShank

Still no audio through my Mac speakers. I tried using Quicktime, Audacity, and Garage Band. I can see in my Sound settings that there is sound input coming in at mid-level. USB PnP Audio Device is selected for input from my cassette player. Output is set for Mac Built-in Speakers but no sound is coming through the speakers.

Using Quicktime, I am able to record from the cassette player to the Mac, and when I playback it has recorded just fine. But I really need to be able to hear what I am recording as I am recording it. Thoughts???

Jul 26, 2021 7:38 PM in response to DShank

DShank wrote:

How do I play and copy cassette tapes to mp3 on a Mac. I tried plugging into the USB port, I select external source input from sound settings and select “built-in” speakers for my output. My input level bar shows good sound level but I hear no sound. This had been easy to do on older Mac with audio inputs but the new Mac doesn’t seem to handle USB audio inputs very well.

What exact Mac is this?

There are at least 52 models of MBP released since January 2006.

Copy cassette tapes to a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.