Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer playlists from iTunes to Music

When I transfer music from iTunes on my old iMac to Music on my newer iMac (Big Sur) I do not get the my playlists in Music. I still have them on my iPhone 12 Mini, but I can't sync the phone to the new Music without loosing what's on the phone and get the Music version from the iMac with no playlists.

How can this be ?????

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:10 AM

Hey there SusanneO,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some difficulties with getting your playlists transferred from your old Mac to your new one. First, can you tell us how you are trying to transfer your music between the two Macs? Also, are you using Apple Music with your devices or is this music that has been previously purchased?

Additionally, you could try to work through the steps in the article listed below to manually import your playlists into the Music app from your older Mac and see if they are able to transfer that way.

Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac

We hope this helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 8:10 AM in response to SusanneO

Hey there SusanneO,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having some difficulties with getting your playlists transferred from your old Mac to your new one. First, can you tell us how you are trying to transfer your music between the two Macs? Also, are you using Apple Music with your devices or is this music that has been previously purchased?

Additionally, you could try to work through the steps in the article listed below to manually import your playlists into the Music app from your older Mac and see if they are able to transfer that way.

Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac

We hope this helps.

Jul 24, 2021 10:50 PM in response to bailier

The problem seems to be Music. My music have transferred from iTunes on my old iMac to Music on my newer iMac. But the Playlists I had in iTunes were not transferred. This is previoulsly purchased and all my cd's imported into iTunes.

I have theese playlists in Music on my iPhone so I thought no worries. With iTunes there was never any problems syncing between phones or between computers or between phone and computer. But with Music I can only transfer what is in Music on iMac to the phone which will erase every playlist on my phone. I can not, simply, transfer the playlists in Music on my iPhone to Music on my iMac. No way ! Why ?

I have tried with the sharing thing also (family sharing or what it is called) - which I used to transfer my musik cd's from an old Mac laptop with dvd/cd drive to iTunes on iMac with no dvd/cd drive and then onto phone. This option is not working either.

I have some mp3 files sitting on my desktop that I want on my iPhone to listen to. No way in **** is that going to happen unless I put them in Music on iMac and sync the phone and then loose my Playlists on the phone.

Apple has fixed something that worked for me into something that I am giving up on. I will do as my daughter and my workplace and change to Androids if this doesn't get better.

Jul 26, 2021 7:17 AM in response to SusanneO

That's a great question, SusanneO.

Depending on where you are located and the warranty on your device, there may not be a cost associated for technical support. However, if your device would need to be sent off for a repair for any reason, that is when you may acquire charges. You can check your warranty and support coverage for your device using the link below which will give you more information on your support options and what is covered.

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Best regards.

Transfer playlists from iTunes to Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.