Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not upgrade macbook pro to big sur

I have a macbook pro:

The install notes say the it should work on macbook pro from late 2013 but when I try and install an OS upgrade I first get a message saying that there are no updates available on a retry I get :

Internet connection is fine...

I note from my research that one of the major issues people are having is lack of disk space but that is not the case here:

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 1:42 PM

8 replies

Jul 19, 2021 5:55 PM in response to russell159

i don't know why the link i gave you in my first reply didn't work. when i click it, it first opens a web page and then after a few seconds the app store window pop's up. that's where you click "get".

looking at your last posted screenshot, you are still trying to access the upgrade through software update. did you actually click the link Get macOS Big Sur in my previous post? and if yes, did you use safari?

if you did and it's not working for you and you can't see it in software update, i think you may be left with one option. you might need to try Contacting Apple for support and service.

Jul 20, 2021 3:07 AM in response to russell159

Are you using Safari from the provided link by @ jefferythefrog . Other browsers may not work especially Firefox.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Any of the aforementioned will also interfere with the download process as will as running behind a VPN

Jul 20, 2021 3:52 AM in response to russell159

As far as I am aware, click ing on Get in the App Store does open System Preferences> Software Update and all being well should start the download of macOS Big Sur.

Is you r mac connected to your router by cable, this is recommended for downloading from Apples Servers as this will provide a more stable and quicker connection for the download.

WiFi is too unreliable, but if you can only use Wi Fi then make sure your mac is as close as possible to the router.

Do not use the mac while it is downloading or any other devices that share the same internet connection.

And if you have to retry always restart the mac first.

Jul 20, 2021 12:41 PM in response to PRP_53

Firstly, thanks for the suggestions!

I tried with Safari, exactly the same. I have ESET antivirus installed. I have checked the logs and there is no indication that it is blocking anything to do with software update. I also tried disabling real time scanning but this made no difference.

BTW AV *is* necessary for Macs, speaking as a long time Apple fan ( I have been using Apple machines for 40 years) and as a Cyber security Engineer with 25 years experience at a major university. True, this is less malware out there targeting macs that windows but it is still significant and growing :(

The set up on the laptop is almost identical to my two Mac minis one of which I have upgraded without problems.

I have a VPN connection for work but that is a split channel (i.e. only traffic to a specific net block goes through the VPN) so that should not affect anything but I will try later with the VPN to make sure.

Jul 20, 2021 1:34 PM in response to russell159

Respectfully, accept to agree to disagree regarding AV Software for Apple Products.

Time and time again people in general insist on installing such software believing there are Viruses that self replicate on the macOS Platform. Utter not true but that is ones preference. Nothing I or others can say to will change their minds. So be it.

The AV Software installed and even if deactivate will and is interfering with the Download process. Even if one restarts the Router and computer and attempts the download over Ethernet Cable of Wifi regardless of how stable the connection

In the Twenty year on the macOS Platform and have seen time and time again how this Software causes havoc, interferes with the OS and is even know to modify the OS to the point it ( OS ) has to wiped and reinstalled

Best of luck

can not upgrade macbook pro to big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.