Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Time Machine back up everything on my Mac or do I need My Passport for Mac to back up everything?

Does Time Machine back up everything on my Mac or do I need My Passport for Mac to back up everything?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 3:46 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Time Machine will backup everything, but you need an external hard drive for Time Machine to work.

For the external drive, I would not get a Western Digital My Passport. Get a high-quality, desktop-class drive, such as the LaCie 6TB d2 Professional Desktop Hard Drive - Apple Store.

Next, format the drive as APFS for the format, and GUID as the scheme: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Finally, Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

-Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 3:46 PM in response to Stryker1949

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Time Machine will backup everything, but you need an external hard drive for Time Machine to work.

For the external drive, I would not get a Western Digital My Passport. Get a high-quality, desktop-class drive, such as the LaCie 6TB d2 Professional Desktop Hard Drive - Apple Store.

Next, format the drive as APFS for the format, and GUID as the scheme: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Finally, Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

-Jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.