Related Article: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

convert all HEIC files to jpg

All the photos on my phone are downloading to my mac as HEIC files and I need to convert them to jpg

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 12:46 AM

I don't want to update windows, my computer will not survive...

regarding the other option downloading dozens of apps, it's what a tried to do, but one of the app you recommend on Apple website is not available in App Store.

And the others app (I tried 3 different one) only allow you to convert 3 at a time, or 10 per day, and so on.

Apple changed the format and so Apple have to help the final users to convert their pictures in a very easy way and for free obviously. And for now, it is not the case... a shame for Apple, even more when I see so much people with the same issue since more than 3 years!!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 12:46 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don't want to update windows, my computer will not survive...

regarding the other option downloading dozens of apps, it's what a tried to do, but one of the app you recommend on Apple website is not available in App Store.

And the others app (I tried 3 different one) only allow you to convert 3 at a time, or 10 per day, and so on.

Apple changed the format and so Apple have to help the final users to convert their pictures in a very easy way and for free obviously. And for now, it is not the case... a shame for Apple, even more when I see so much people with the same issue since more than 3 years!!

Aug 4, 2021 7:37 AM in response to Twhughes1229

Twhughes1229 wrote:

All my photos are now going to my Macbook as heic format, how do I change to jpeg?

That’s your call.

All recent macOS and all recent Windows all support HEIF/HEIC/HEVC, natively.

Any maintained macOS apps use HEIF/HEIC/HEVC, too.

If you should need the older and less-storage-efficient and less-capable JPG version of the files, the tools can export to that.

Here is what Apple writes ➡️ Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2021 7:23 AM in response to chris1o1

You’ll want to consider a vendor other than Apple then, as you want older support and older compatibility.

Windows is a good choice for your preferred usage there, as Microsoft has a history of trying to keep the older apps and older peripheral hardware working for longer.

Apple tends to be updating what is available to newer and that while also ending support for the older features earlier than some other vendors, and has a long history of that. Apple removed floppies earlier than most other vendors, and removed CD/DVD media earlier than many, and to complaining. Apple added other hardware and software features earlier than many other vendors, as well. HEIF/HEIC/HEVC, obviously. Going fully 64-bit for APIs and apps, too.

Here’s the first hit in DuckDuckGo for HIEC to JPG conversion, and there are other apps available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heic-to-jpeg-free/9ntvcmpjm5v3

Windows 11 is now in beta, and reportedly including hardware requirements past a number of existing computers so replacement computers will be getting newer birs, any discussions of longer-term hardware compatibility aside. Wouldn't surprise to see HEIF/HEIC/HEVC integrated with Windows 11 from the onset, and HEIF/HEIC/HEVC support has been present in Windows 10 since the October 2018 update; for most of three years now.

Aug 21, 2021 8:20 PM in response to DAB-III

DAB-III wrote:

I want to know how to convert my existing pictures from heic to jpg.

Export the photos as JPG, if using the Photos app.

There are format-conversion tools around, if you’re using something else other than the Photos app on macOS, iOS, or iPadOS.

There is no means to switch the contents of Photos from HEIF/HEIC/HEVC to other formats in place, only export everything and convert it, and re-import it into a new library.

convert all HEIC files to jpg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.