Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After the 11.4 os update my photos app hangs

I have several Photos libraries. I recently updated my os on my MacBook Pro. As I accessed my Photos libraries one at a time, it went through the usual updating the library routine. It successfully updated all of them. But now in going back to access some of the libraries the Photos app hangs. Please help me, my photos are invaluable!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 9:30 AM

Do you have iCloud Library enabled on any of the libraries?

Are you running a "referenced" or "managed" library?

If you're not using iCloud Library on any of them and are running "managed" libraries open the problem libraries with the Option +Command keys held down and run first aid on them.

You'll get this indication/message:

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 9:30 AM in response to marcus103

Do you have iCloud Library enabled on any of the libraries?

Are you running a "referenced" or "managed" library?

If you're not using iCloud Library on any of them and are running "managed" libraries open the problem libraries with the Option +Command keys held down and run first aid on them.

You'll get this indication/message:

Jul 19, 2021 11:34 AM in response to marcus103

Can you tell us more?

• Where are you storing the Photos Libraries? On an external volume? Or on your system volume?
  • And what is the file format of the photos in them?
  • Which system version is running on your Mac?

I am asking, because the recent system upgrades to macOS 15 Catalina or macOS 11 Big Sur have deprecated several formats. If you are having files in a format that is no longer supported in your Photos Library, Photos may not be able to open or upgrade the library.

Also, the security measures in the newer system versions are making it impossible to work with libraries on a volume used for Time Machine backups, or on a NAS, or a volume with a format other than MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

Jul 20, 2021 12:29 PM in response to léonie

Greetings leonie,

You replied; "If you are having files in a format that is no longer supported in your Photos Library, Photos may not be able to open or upgrade the library."

so if we do have photo formats which have been deprecated since Mojave, is there a tool that will remove from library and put in a "BAD" directory, so we can continue to use Photos?

Thanks in advance

After the 11.4 os update my photos app hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.