Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri “failed” to update HomePod mini audio as part of HomeKit scene

I have had a HomePod for a few years, and for multiple HomeKit scenes I’ve set my HomePod audio to “pause” - such as when the last person leaves the home, or when we start the “goodnight” scene.

Recently, I added two HomePod minis to our setup. I set the HomePod minis to also “pause” in those same scenes. But every time I ask Siri to set the scene, I get a response that “I tried, but the media in your [‘Reading’] scene is not available.” Tapping the scene in Home.app does change my lights, but the tile gets updated with a “Failed” on it.

Do I need to set my HomePod minis up in some other manner? Is this a bug? Something else?

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 6:50 AM

Okay, so resetting HomePods did not resolve this, but it gave me a clue: my original HomePod (not the minis) also started to “fail” on these scenes.

I ended up changing the scene to ‘play audio’ (and selected a track). Then I toggled it to ‘pause audio’ on all three HomePod devices. It now works!

Still haven’t sorted location automations, but one step forward.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Vancouver22

Okay, so resetting HomePods did not resolve this, but it gave me a clue: my original HomePod (not the minis) also started to “fail” on these scenes.

I ended up changing the scene to ‘play audio’ (and selected a track). Then I toggled it to ‘pause audio’ on all three HomePod devices. It now works!

Still haven’t sorted location automations, but one step forward.

Jul 24, 2021 1:34 AM in response to Benjamin Chait

My automations to play music at a set time no longer works. I add the HomePods but they get taken out. Alarms to play music work though but I wanted to play a few HomePods not just one. This happened before and I fixed it but I forget how. Might have reset them. Restarting is not helping.

I know one thing that messes up my automations, is if I set the big HomePods to default audio on my Apple TV 4K. They refuse to trigger and won’t even run on “test automation”. .

• You can try shortcuts. Some have more luck with them.
  • You could also try using the home app to set them up on a different device, like an iPad or Mac. I’m going to test my iPhone setting them up tonight. See if they work in the morning.
  • You might also try toggling enable this automation or scene off then back on

The thing is, I will finally fix them and along comes a new software update and they don’t work again! iOS 12 was flawless. I felt as soon as I got a mini things started going awry. I’d like that thing to not act as a Hub

Siri “failed” to update HomePod mini audio as part of HomeKit scene

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.