Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers not importing excel dates consistently

I 've read a few posts on this issue dating back a long time but my issues are only popping up now and only on the latest version of the OS in a new iMac I recently purchased.

Not every file does this which is weird but the example below happens regularly

Playing around with cell formatting has not helped re-convert the number to a date

A client sent me an .xls file with the date field with 7/21/21 and Numbers spits out 44398.

The reason I'm looking at numbers as the culprit is because if I "quicklook" the received file in the mail app it displays properly.

Thanks,

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:59 PM

As you've discovered Numbers sometimes gets confused and uses the Excel serial number date. (Excel stores dates as a number based on days since the beginning of the 20th century, while Numbers uses a date-time string.)

To convert from the Excel serial date, you can use a formula like this:

=DATE(1900,1,1)+A2−2

Replace the , in the formula with ; if your region uses , as a decimal separator.

Or you may find it more convenient to use an AppleScript, which doesn't require you to set up an extra column with a formula.

Here's the script:

set startdate to date "Monday, January 1, 1900 at 00:00:00"

tell application "Numbers" to tell front document
	tell active sheet
		tell (first table whose class of selection range is range)
			repeat with c in (get selection range)'s cells
				set value of c to startdate + ((value of c) - 2) * days
			end repeat
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

To use, copy-paste into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities), select cells with date serial numbers, and click the <run> button.

Test on a backup first.

If "nothing happens" make sure Script Editor is listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

If you expect to use the script again in the future you can save it in the Script Menu.

SG

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 8:59 PM in response to Gino C

As you've discovered Numbers sometimes gets confused and uses the Excel serial number date. (Excel stores dates as a number based on days since the beginning of the 20th century, while Numbers uses a date-time string.)

To convert from the Excel serial date, you can use a formula like this:

=DATE(1900,1,1)+A2−2

Replace the , in the formula with ; if your region uses , as a decimal separator.

Or you may find it more convenient to use an AppleScript, which doesn't require you to set up an extra column with a formula.

Here's the script:

set startdate to date "Monday, January 1, 1900 at 00:00:00"

tell application "Numbers" to tell front document
	tell active sheet
		tell (first table whose class of selection range is range)
			repeat with c in (get selection range)'s cells
				set value of c to startdate + ((value of c) - 2) * days
			end repeat
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

To use, copy-paste into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities), select cells with date serial numbers, and click the <run> button.

Test on a backup first.

If "nothing happens" make sure Script Editor is listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

If you expect to use the script again in the future you can save it in the Script Menu.

SG

Aug 2, 2021 12:14 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks to both of you for the help.

While I now understand the issue I find it sad that I can open these files properly on all my older machines.

I'll hang on to the script for further uses but as the files I'm receiving now are orders that my client types up in excel to send me, I never really work on the same file twice so it would be a bunch of extra effort to run the script every time just to watermark a pdf version and send to back.

Good knowledge though

Thanks again.

Aug 2, 2021 12:24 PM in response to Gino C

Gino C wrote:

a bunch of extra effort to run the script every time just to watermark a pdf version and send to back.

A small bunch of extra work. You have to select cells and then run. That takes a few seconds.

However, if you haven't done so already, you might consider giving feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu, explaining the problem you are having importing Excel dates. You are unlikely to receive a response. But feedback is reviewed. If there is enough feedback, a bug like this may be addressed in due course.

SG

Aug 2, 2021 12:30 PM in response to SGIII

Yes you are right, it's not that much work and I can see myself using the script as a real timesaver in the right circumstances. It's definitely plugging up a hole apple has left us with.

When I mentioned the work required it was mostly because our workaround has simply been to print this one client's regular orders from a different machine, two steps to the left. ;)

Thanks,

Aug 2, 2021 12:42 PM in response to Gino C

Gino C wrote:

print this one client's regular orders from a different machine, two steps to the left. ;)

A, yes, the old two-step can work just as well! Even involves a little physical movement, generally a good thing;)

Maybe Apple will squash the bug before you have to update that other machine too.

SG

Aug 2, 2021 1:49 PM in response to Gino C

Gino C wrote:
While I now understand the issue I find it sad that I can open these files properly on all my older machines.

A few versions ago it seemed like a bunch of new bugs got introduced. There are still a few bugs that have not been fixed, though there have been multiple updates in the mean time to add new features. I know of four in particular that I have been watching and waiting on. One is a problem with extraneous labels on the X axis of some charts, another is about the WORKDAY function when dates are excluded, a major one for me has to do with how sorting messes up range references in functions such as COUNTIF, and a fourth is a problem with using dates in the SUMIFS function when the region is Canada. And now you are saying your older versions process these Excel files correctly while the latest does not. What version(s) are you running that do it correctly?

Numbers not importing excel dates consistently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.