Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes App - Unable to Copy & Paste Formatted Text to a New Note

The ability to copy & paste formatted text from one note to another new note has been lost in the past 1-2 days. I have been doing this for a long time which is an extremely convenient feature but it suddenly stopped working. I am using a MacBook Pro 2019 with macOS Big Sur 11.4. Any idea how to duplicate a note or to copy & paste formatted text to a new note?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 12:09 PM

I just figured out the problem. I have a 3rd party app called Copied which allows me to save up to 1,000 copies to a clipboard. Somehow the settings in Copied changed to copy & paste only plain text. I changed the setting and I'm now able to copy & paste formatted text to Notes again. Thanks so much for your help Luis!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 12:09 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I just figured out the problem. I have a 3rd party app called Copied which allows me to save up to 1,000 copies to a clipboard. Somehow the settings in Copied changed to copy & paste only plain text. I changed the setting and I'm now able to copy & paste formatted text to Notes again. Thanks so much for your help Luis!

Jul 20, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis, thanks for the response. I restarted my Mac twice and I have not upgraded my OS lately.

After some experimenting, I discovered that when right clicking on some notes, all the ones in certain folders will NOT display Duplicate Note in the dropdown menu (see screenshot below). To get it to work, I had to move the note into one of the folders in which Duplicate Note does display, duplicate it, then move it back to my desired folder for editing.

But when copying & pasting formatted text from a note in the working folder to another note in the working folder (new or existing note), it will only paste as unformatted text.

This has worked for me for years but just stopped working 3 days ago. Very strange!

Jul 20, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

You are correct, Duplicate Note does not display only with shared folders. Thanks for that!

But this problem still exists: When copying & pasting formatted text from a note in the working folder to another note in the working folder (new or existing note), it will only paste as unformatted text. All formatting is lost when pasting to a new or existing note. Like I said, I was successfully copying & pasting formatted text for years in the Notes app but just stopped working.

When you copy & paste formatted text in Notes, does it remain formatted?

Notes App - Unable to Copy & Paste Formatted Text to a New Note

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.