Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What proof of purchase is required for activation lock support requests?

What kind of proof of purchase do I need for apple to get rid of the activation lock on my device? I bought the iPad as open box on ebay. I used the iPad for a while and then gave it to my dad. Now I want to sell it but my dad forgot his passcode and I had to restore the iPad, and now it's activation locked to an email I do not recognize at all. So I'm just wondering how I could prove I purchased it so I'd be ready to provide it during activation lock support.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 7:29 PM

Apple requires the original purchase receipt from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, which shows the device serial number on it. What you're likely going to find is Apple may not accept a receipt from eBay, who is not an authorized seller of Apple products and when you say you bought an open box device, it was essentially used.

Only Apple can tell you if they will be willing to assist you, but you may find that you don't have the right documentation to get Apple to remove Activation Lock. Don't shoot the messenger............

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 7:29 PM in response to XxnateplayzxX

Apple requires the original purchase receipt from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, which shows the device serial number on it. What you're likely going to find is Apple may not accept a receipt from eBay, who is not an authorized seller of Apple products and when you say you bought an open box device, it was essentially used.

Only Apple can tell you if they will be willing to assist you, but you may find that you don't have the right documentation to get Apple to remove Activation Lock. Don't shoot the messenger............

What proof of purchase is required for activation lock support requests?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.