Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro Additional Content

I am learning how to use Final Cut Pro for the first time and so I decided to watch a YouTube tutorial. I am at the portion where the author is saying "Make sure to download additional free content from Apple..." and I did so. It opens up software updates as if it is looking for a new version of the OS and says I am all up to date. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have never downloaded any additional updates for FCP before.

Does this mean that the version of FCP that I have, downloaded on Wednesday last week (as I purchased FCP with the Mac) already has all the additional content? If so, then why does this guy on Youtube have more audio effects? I am not showing the same audio effects that he has. I do have some of them, but am not seeing some of the others. I am thinking he got them from other websites as you can do that with Premiere Pro, I just want some clarification.

It seems cut and dry and I just want to know I am not missing something here. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 1:24 AM

If it says it is up to date that means that any additional content has already been downloaded.

Maybe the extra sound effects are ones that the author of the video downloaded from elsewhere, just as you say.

Without knowing what they are, it is hard to say.

When selecting sound effects, you may have "iLife Sound Effects" (these come from iMovie, and should appear to anyone who has installed iMovie) and "Final Cut Pro Sound Effects". This already includes a great number of effects, but one can add more.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 1:24 AM in response to aggressivility

If it says it is up to date that means that any additional content has already been downloaded.

Maybe the extra sound effects are ones that the author of the video downloaded from elsewhere, just as you say.

Without knowing what they are, it is hard to say.

When selecting sound effects, you may have "iLife Sound Effects" (these come from iMovie, and should appear to anyone who has installed iMovie) and "Final Cut Pro Sound Effects". This already includes a great number of effects, but one can add more.

Jul 20, 2021 2:08 AM in response to aggressivility

DyreLogan wrote:

Thank you for your help. I will stay clear of third party stuff unless I really need it and it is proven to be safe for Mac's. ?my MacBook is kind of bare because I don't really want to download any software on it that might be harmful because I don't have an antivirus on it and don't plan on getting one for it.

Good idea. Third party antivirus cause many problems and don't solve any.

Using good judgment is crucial. Be careful but do not be paranoid. There is a lot of excellent software that helps make your mac a lot more useful. If in doubt you can always ask the community.

This may help you:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Jul 20, 2021 12:29 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I do have iMovie but I have never used it. As for FCP being preinstalled by Apple, it is most definitely attached to my Apple ID. I checked the App Store and saw that it says OPEN under my list of apps under my name. Just to be sure, I checked my app purchases under my account and saw that FCP was indeed in the list. I haven't used iMovie at all so I am unsure as to how to get those other files. I am guessing that my version of FCP has all the features it's going to have in this version and if I want some more audio files I will have to go to third party websites? I think the audio files that are in there now are plenty. There are a lot, but I am sure there are other audio files that I will discover down the road. I want to start using FCP as soon as possible for editing videos for my work and so I am learning as I go.

Final Cut Pro Additional Content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.