Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS BigSur 11.4 - Native Photos App - Crashes when using SD card

Hi all,

I'm new to Apple Macs so forgive me if I can't answer everything (usually as I haven't worked out how to get the information).

I own a MacBook Air M1, 16GB Ram and 512GB NVMe and my DLSR is a Sony A6400. I am using RAW+JPEG files (saves both to the SD card) - writing to a SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB SDXC.

Whenever I connect my SD card up to my SanDisk Extreme PRO SD UHS-II USB-C Card Reader, I can use Finder to view the videos and open the photos manually, but if I open the Photos application, about 80% of the time, the application will crash or if it opens, and I click on the drive, it then crashes. If I click on Reopen Application on the crash prompt, it 100% then opens fine and I can import in the media.

Once imported, there are zero crashes when opening the Photos app and accessing the RAW/JPEG files in the library.

I am 99% certain it is that the Photos app doesn't like RAW as if I change the camera to only save JPEG, no crashes happen at all.

Is this a known issue? Any work arounds - or any other software I could use for importing those files?

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 4:07 AM

The only other thing I can think of that is worth trying is a different memory card.

Failing that, there may be a specific bug which you should, if possible, report to apple here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 21, 2021 2:07 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I'll try that now - but I am sure it will work. Seems to be based around when the SD Card reader is connected to the card. Once it doesn't crash, if I eject the card with the Photos app open, take photos and insert the card in, it seems to be fine.

I have also tried it with a UGREEN USB-C Dock which has an SD card reader (UHS-I reader, not like the SanDisk UHS-II reader) - does the same.

macOS BigSur 11.4 - Native Photos App - Crashes when using SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.