Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Unhide Library folder from a TM Backup?

Hi, I just found this thread from a few years back while desperately trying to solve an issue here... Glenn posted this great reply, but I'm having an issue executing.

"If you want to unhide and view the user library in the Finder view of a particular TM backup:

Navigate to the backup on the TM disk you wish to view. Select your Home Folder in the user folder of that backup. Right click on your account name (control Click) and then hold down the Option Key. Select copy "***" as Pathname.

Then, go the the Finder, select Go from the menu, then Go To Folder and paste the copied pathname to the window. Add /Library to the end of the pathname in the window, then hit Go. A Finder window show open that backup user Library folder.

The issue I have is right at, "Right click on your account name (control Click) and then hold down the Option Key. Select copy "***" as Pathname."

I don't see that option.

I believe the issue may be in the preceding step, "Select your Home Folder in the user folder of that backup." I only see my user folder, not a 'Home' folder within it. Has the configuration of TM backups changed since this last post, or is there something else I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 10:38 AM

command-shift-period (.) will unhide hidden files in the period and hide them again.

Note, since these files manage a fair bit of the system's capabilities, you do not want to move or delete them from the backup, and always select the file by clicking once, and hitting copy in the edit menu, and then at the destination hit paste from the edit menu.

If you delete or move them, your backup may not properly restore.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Dasjazzchi

command-shift-period (.) will unhide hidden files in the period and hide them again.

Note, since these files manage a fair bit of the system's capabilities, you do not want to move or delete them from the backup, and always select the file by clicking once, and hitting copy in the edit menu, and then at the destination hit paste from the edit menu.

If you delete or move them, your backup may not properly restore.

How to Unhide Library folder from a TM Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.