Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime's poor connection issue

so whenever my boyfriend and i facetime the call almost immediately says poor connection. the video never resumes. if we hang up and call back then it takes awhile on the connecting screen and then i just see a black screen with a poor connection message again. the quick fix we have found is if he goes off wifi and then hangs up and calls back. the video stays normal if hes off wifi but other then that it just says poor connection. its really annoying, i just want to be able to see my boyfriend as we are currently in a long distance relationship.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 10:40 AM

The poor connection warning can have anything to do with either of your wi-fi connections, wi-fi speeds, and bandwidth issues. If you have a half way decent wi-fi connection but your ISP has bandwidth issues, you will get the warning. Also, if your cellular carrier supports FaceTime over cellular, if you are in a poor cellular signal area you will get it, or if the tower you are connected to is very busy, then again you suffer from bandwidth issues. It may be a good idea for both of you to restart your wi-fi routers. Remove the power plug from the wall for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and allow it to complete its reboot and connection and try again. This gives the change for the router to kind of clear itself and reconnect to everything.

My son has a mesh network at home and at times moving between nodes in the house can cause similar issues as well. Sometimes his network will not handoff well.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 10:40 AM in response to whatalovelygal

The poor connection warning can have anything to do with either of your wi-fi connections, wi-fi speeds, and bandwidth issues. If you have a half way decent wi-fi connection but your ISP has bandwidth issues, you will get the warning. Also, if your cellular carrier supports FaceTime over cellular, if you are in a poor cellular signal area you will get it, or if the tower you are connected to is very busy, then again you suffer from bandwidth issues. It may be a good idea for both of you to restart your wi-fi routers. Remove the power plug from the wall for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and allow it to complete its reboot and connection and try again. This gives the change for the router to kind of clear itself and reconnect to everything.

My son has a mesh network at home and at times moving between nodes in the house can cause similar issues as well. Sometimes his network will not handoff well.

facetime's poor connection issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.