Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command Tab Hide?

Does anyone know of a way to Hide other apps when using command tab to switch apps??

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 8:51 AM

I don't believe there's a way to do what you want in one move. But if you want to hide the currently foreground app before switching to another with Command+Tab, either press Command+H, or Option+click anywhere the desktop is visible.

12 replies

Jul 21, 2021 8:34 AM in response to Dancin_Brook

Dancin_Brook wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to Hide other apps when using command tab to switch apps??

Mac OS X Hints offers some (are dated) suggestions.
Specifically, Quicksilver and Keyboard Maestro (rolled my own)
Betting Applescript and maybe even Shortcuts would work too.

I can not speak to your third party apps...or attempts

The beauty of the Heads up display (HUD) ie Command Tab is the one and only way to see all running apps, active inactive, Hidden, not hidden, full screen or not. I do not see that functionality changing in the macOS.

You can submit your submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jul 20, 2021 11:01 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Distraction; clutter,...

If you use Command tab to switch, it al isl still very accessible. Should be able to see a selection of apps, but option to hide when switching, just like you see them when selecting something that is hidden.

An "Option-tab" would be great.

I'm betting someone has written such a utility if it isn't built in and hiding. ;-)

Jul 20, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Dancin_Brook

I routinely have ten or twelve applications open at any time but there is no need to keep applications open if not really being used. Most applications launch very quickly.

And it is easy to reach the application I want to switch to: arrow keys work in a circular way so even with ten applications each one is no more than 5 arrow presses away.

But I guess what you are asking is likely possible and perhaps someone has already implemented it. Let us know if you find it. Not for me, but others may want a similar feature.

Jul 20, 2021 5:56 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm never sure why folks try to answer questions by telling someone they are doing things wrong, or question their reasons (vs asking clarifying questions). Regardless...

One example: Mail refreshes constantly, (as does Reminders, Calendars, and Notes, across devices. I prefer to laeave these open so they don't take any time to open, or refresh one they do open.

You might think of this as "Spaces" without the "Spaces" (which I find unpredictable, especially when using different monitors set ups.

BTW: Witch says it's on their feature list but no date...

Jul 21, 2021 8:02 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Command-Option-H hides everything except the front-most app; I asked about hiding just the app I'm switching from.

Example: I leave three apps visible across two screens. Merlin Project on my main screen with Calendar and Reminder on the side screen, side by side. I decided to check on Mail so a Command-Tab to Mail from Merlin. When I switch back to Merlin I want Mail to hide.

Hitting Option-Command-H would then hide Reminders, Calendar, and Mail. Not what I want to do.

Command Tab Hide?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.