Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

swiping single emails to delete?

The official Apple answer says that I should be able to simply swipe left to delete, but when I swipe left, I only have the options of Unread, Archive, or "more" (which does have the delete option if I scroll down). I have tried changing the options in Settings, but delete is not an option. Deleting a single email in the Mail app is pretty annoying. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 12:52 PM

That is a setting in your mail account that has it set to Archive instead of Delete. Go to Settings>Mail>Accounts>select the account you wish to configure. Then on the next page, tap on Account, then on the next page Advanced. On that page, you should see MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO: and the two selections are Deleted Mailbox and Archive Mailbox. Tap Deleted and the checkmark will appear there and then you should see the Trash rather than Archive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 12:52 PM in response to ikandree

That is a setting in your mail account that has it set to Archive instead of Delete. Go to Settings>Mail>Accounts>select the account you wish to configure. Then on the next page, tap on Account, then on the next page Advanced. On that page, you should see MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO: and the two selections are Deleted Mailbox and Archive Mailbox. Tap Deleted and the checkmark will appear there and then you should see the Trash rather than Archive.

Jul 20, 2021 12:46 PM in response to jimfrombridgeton

I am using the native, Mail app on my iPhone (latest update installed). I’m adding screenshots from both the settings and the actual email to show that DELETE is simply not an option given. I’ve read other suggestions of switching to the “none” which does not add the delete option. Honestly, deleting a single email is kinda a pain and requires MANY steps.

swiping single emails to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.