Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple Watch still mostly-function without an iPhone?

I am temporarily switching to android before I get a new iPhone. Will my Apple Watch (gen 3 with GPS only) still continue to mostly-function even if I factory reset my current iPhone and sell it?

I haven’t seen anyone address what happens if you factory reset the “paired” iPhone that the watch looks for. In my mind it should continue to work using the Apple ID... but Apple does silly things in my eyes.

I’m really not all that familiar with Apple products (I prefer my tech devices to actually let me change settings...) and using my first iPhone currently, so thanks in advance for any help out there

Apple Watch

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 1:50 PM

That is a good question. I'm sure it will "mostly" function by itself for some length of time, but the issue is for how long. If you want/need a definitive answer, contact Apple Support.

BTW, you should be aware that you will need to unpair the watch from your old iPhone before you can use it with your new iPhone. Here are two ways to unpair your watch if you no longer have the paired iPhone:

• See the 'How to erase your Apple Watch if you don't have your iPhone' section of:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

• With a web browser, go to: https://www.iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. Open Find My iPhone and select All Devices (at the top). Then click your Apple Watch, select 'Erase Apple Watch', and select Next until the device is erased. Finally click "X" next to remove your Apple Watch.

In doing so, you will probably lose any data on your watch after you reset your old iPhone since you will no longer be able to backup your watch. (You may be able to recover older data from your iCloud backup when you setup your new iPhone.). See the 'If you're switching to a new device' section in:

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, before you sell your iPhone, you should read this:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Fiero_Fanatic

That is a good question. I'm sure it will "mostly" function by itself for some length of time, but the issue is for how long. If you want/need a definitive answer, contact Apple Support.

BTW, you should be aware that you will need to unpair the watch from your old iPhone before you can use it with your new iPhone. Here are two ways to unpair your watch if you no longer have the paired iPhone:

• See the 'How to erase your Apple Watch if you don't have your iPhone' section of:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

• With a web browser, go to: https://www.iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. Open Find My iPhone and select All Devices (at the top). Then click your Apple Watch, select 'Erase Apple Watch', and select Next until the device is erased. Finally click "X" next to remove your Apple Watch.

In doing so, you will probably lose any data on your watch after you reset your old iPhone since you will no longer be able to backup your watch. (You may be able to recover older data from your iCloud backup when you setup your new iPhone.). See the 'If you're switching to a new device' section in:

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, before you sell your iPhone, you should read this:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Will Apple Watch still mostly-function without an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.