Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my photos takes up 35gb of space in the general storage while i have them in the iCloud?

I checked my general storage and saw that my photos takes up a 35gb space, but i’m really confused because i have my photos in the iCloud. Also sometimes it’s kinda confusing because at first it shows only 1,3gb and then it refreshes and shows 35.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 2:07 PM

Photos in the cloud also keeps the photos on your phone. You cannot "offload" data to the cloud, rather it serves as a synchronization service between devices. However, if you have optimize photos storage turned on (Settings > Photos) the size of images on your device will vary. Originals are kept int he cloud and the best resolution available is stored on your device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 2:07 PM in response to réka224

Photos in the cloud also keeps the photos on your phone. You cannot "offload" data to the cloud, rather it serves as a synchronization service between devices. However, if you have optimize photos storage turned on (Settings > Photos) the size of images on your device will vary. Originals are kept int he cloud and the best resolution available is stored on your device.

Why my photos takes up 35gb of space in the general storage while i have them in the iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.