Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to correct error 50 on iMac

I updated an iMac 27 running Sierra with anIPad Pro and am getting "error 50." This is preventing erasures, screenshots, inability to empty trash, etc. How do I remove/correct this error so I can use my computer?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 6:14 PM

Hello, freshtry.

Have you applied all the latest updates (not upgrades) for your current version of macOS?

Click Apple Menu  > About This Mac > Software Update to see what, if anything, is available.

Also, please make sure that your iPad is running the latest version of iPadOS.

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch - Apple Suport:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204

If everything is up to date and rebooting the devices hasn't fixed the problem, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It takes longer to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do.  Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem still happen while in Safe mode? 

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again after a normal reboot.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 6:14 PM in response to freshtry

Hello, freshtry.

Have you applied all the latest updates (not upgrades) for your current version of macOS?

Click Apple Menu  > About This Mac > Software Update to see what, if anything, is available.

Also, please make sure that your iPad is running the latest version of iPadOS.

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch - Apple Suport:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204

If everything is up to date and rebooting the devices hasn't fixed the problem, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It takes longer to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do.  Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem still happen while in Safe mode? 

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again after a normal reboot.

Jul 21, 2021 11:10 AM in response to Jack-19

I have Time Machine backups on NAS, but so far computer gives error 50 message when attempting restore from TM. I am currently slowly copying files from Documents folder to USB 1 tb drive. Seems to be working but very slow. I am hoping TM will work after I ultimately erase, reformat and re-install OS. If not, I will lose all applications and will be forced to re-install each program individually.😳😳😥😥

How to correct error 50 on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.