Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple SSD Data Disc

To clean up my MacBook Pro (Intel) I have erased the disk and reinstalled Big Sur.

When I try to backup to Time capsule via time machine I get an error that there is 2 disc withe the same name.

When I open Disk Utility I get I can see that files are spread across two disks with the same name.

Screenshots attached.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 5:14 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 21, 2021 7:31 AM in response to derekfromcoleraine

derekfromcoleraine wrote:

Many thanks for you speedy reply.
I tried your suggestion and get the error message attached below.
All my data was in the iCloud so when I logged into iCloud it was all downloaded without problem. I also had a copy on an external disk, but it wasn't needed.
I downloaded all my apps from the app store and the ones not there form the developers site.

Thanks
Derek
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/2b00f09f-38ea-4996-b8b7-19181282857f

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac ...

Jul 21, 2021 5:30 AM in response to Barney-15E

Many thanks for you speedy reply.

I tried your suggestion and get the error message attached below.

All my data was in the iCloud so when I logged into iCloud it was all downloaded without problem. I also had a copy on an external disk, but it wasn't needed.

I downloaded all my apps from the app store and the ones not there form the developers site.

Thanks

Derek

Jul 21, 2021 5:20 AM in response to derekfromcoleraine

You can remove the second one in your Screenshots using the Remove Volume button (–).

The one without the Home badge is the old one you didn't remove prior to installing the OS.

However…

Did you migrate your user data after reinstalling the OS? It appears the orphaned Data volume has a lot more data stored on it.

Did you make a backup prior to reinstalling? If so, you can use that to migrate your data over, or you can manually copy it from the Macintosh HD - Data file you see in the Finder into the appropriate places in your new home folder.

Apple SSD Data Disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.