Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sign Photos back into iCloud after sign-out

Hi, I signed out of iCloud on my Mac and then signed back in. When I try to add Photos back to the iCloud, a window opens asking me to purchase more storage. All of the Photos on my Mac are already on the iCloud as I was signed in and synced before signinging out briefly. I have 80GB storage left on the iCloud my Photos Library file is 97GB. Does iCloud assume this is an entirely new set of photos? How do I sign back in and sync without deleting the Photos Library file on my Mac and syncing the entire library again from scratch? Thanks.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 7:46 AM

MacMiniAndMore wrote:

.. I have 80GB storage left on the iCloud my Photos Library file is 97GB. Does iCloud assume this is an entirely new set of photos?

That is exactly what is happening. Photos is using the worst case assumption, that all photos in your current Photos Library are different from the ones already in iCloud.

The quickest way to sign back into iCloud Photos would be to save your current Photos Library on an external volume and then create a new, empty library in your Pictures folder ( Create additional libraries). Enable this empty library as your System Photos Library in "Photos > Preferences > General" and then as the iCloud Photos Library in "Photos > Preferences > iCloud" . This will avoid a new, lengthy upload. The photos will just download from iCloud to the new, empty library. The only draw-back would be that the projects will be missing. This is why you need to save the old library.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 7:46 AM in response to MacMiniAndMore

MacMiniAndMore wrote:

.. I have 80GB storage left on the iCloud my Photos Library file is 97GB. Does iCloud assume this is an entirely new set of photos?

That is exactly what is happening. Photos is using the worst case assumption, that all photos in your current Photos Library are different from the ones already in iCloud.

The quickest way to sign back into iCloud Photos would be to save your current Photos Library on an external volume and then create a new, empty library in your Pictures folder ( Create additional libraries). Enable this empty library as your System Photos Library in "Photos > Preferences > General" and then as the iCloud Photos Library in "Photos > Preferences > iCloud" . This will avoid a new, lengthy upload. The photos will just download from iCloud to the new, empty library. The only draw-back would be that the projects will be missing. This is why you need to save the old library.

Jul 21, 2021 8:04 AM in response to léonie

I forgot - if you do not start with an empty library you would indeed have to purchase more cloud storage, temporarily, so you can enable iCloud Photos again. Once the library is in sync, you can cancel the additional cloud storage, as the library will be as large as before. But it will take much longer than deleting the local library and just downloading the photos back from iCloud to an empty library, because iCloud will upload the complete library from your Mac and merge it into the existing library.

Unable to sign Photos back into iCloud after sign-out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.