Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Showing read receipts randomly

My read receipts are ALWAYS turned off in settings but every once in a while - it sends read receipts to people. Today for example, all morning it did not show messages as "Read" to my friend and all of a sudden - without doing ANYTHING it started showing her when i read her messages..... help?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 10:58 AM

Check that individual message thread, tap on the receivers name at the top, then Info. On that page, check to see if Send Read Receipts is on for that message. Otherwise check Settings>Messages to see if there was a change there. Even if you have it off in Settings, individual message threads can have read receipts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 10:58 AM in response to Mea7979

Check that individual message thread, tap on the receivers name at the top, then Info. On that page, check to see if Send Read Receipts is on for that message. Otherwise check Settings>Messages to see if there was a change there. Even if you have it off in Settings, individual message threads can have read receipts.

Showing read receipts randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.