Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Archive in the mail app

I have three addresses in the mail app. When I delete a message it shows up in the trash and the archive folders. I then empty the trash folder and later delete the accumulated messages in the archive folder. The messages go into the trash folder. I then delete them and they disappear only to show up in the archive folder again. How can I empty the archive folder and have it remain empty?

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 6:13 AM

Gmail account? That’s how it works. They keep all of your email in All Mail which Mail maps to the Archive folder. You can set Gmail to not show “All Mail” in IMAP, and to actually delete messages you delete as opposed to keeping them in All Mail.

4 replies

Aug 19, 2021 10:35 AM in response to Asta123

In case you're still having this problem with your gmail addresses, if you go into Google, log in and select email.

Then click on the Settings cogwheel and select 'See all settings'.

Then click on 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP'

Then go to

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:

• Archive the message (default)
  • Move the message to the Bin
  • Immediately delete the message forever

and select the second option.

Hope this helps

Archive in the mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.