Related Article: About fans and fan noise in your Apple product

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my fan constantly run on Mac book air 2014

Just replaced the battery on my MacBook Air 2014. The fan continues to run. I was told by Apple that the reason it ran some much was because the battery was weak/struggling. But since I replaced it, it is still running like it was. Not sure if there is another issue with it.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 9:22 PM

Hi,

Resetting SMC could solve the issue.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, try to check your MacBook Air with Apple Diagnostics if it reports something related battery or fan errors.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

3 replies

Jul 23, 2021 9:56 PM in response to Joe46AL

If the fan is running at high speed it typically means a temperature sensor has failed. Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

A weak battery would not cause the fan to run at high speed. The only time a battery can cause the fan to run at high speed is when the laptop is unable to access the battery's temperature sensor which usually only occurs when macOS does not even see the battery at all.

If you boot into Safe Mode does the fan still run at high speed? If not, then it means you have a software issue. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Why does my fan constantly run on Mac book air 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.