Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden battery drain Apple Watch 6

For the last 3 days during a run using the Nike Run Club app, my watch has literally drained from around 70% to less than 10% in literally minutes.

I have updated software on both my watch and iPhone and also restarted my watch but nothing has helped.

I start my run with around 90% and usually I still have around 70% at the end. I have monitored during my run and everything seems to fine and then suddenly I get a low power warning and I lose all the data for my run. Very frustrating - anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

Thanks

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 11:16 AM

To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Update 6.2.1 Battery Draining Too Quickly… - Apple Community

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 11:16 AM in response to anniers73

To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Update 6.2.1 Battery Draining Too Quickly… - Apple Community

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Jul 27, 2021 5:56 PM in response to anniers73

I’ve had the same issue I even tried to chat with customer support but they kept sending me a links to old articles. They claimed no else was having an issue. These posts are 5 days old.

I've unpaired/erased a couple of times. No luck. My current charge on a brand new watch lasts less than 3 hours. There is clearly a problem. Interestingly, my problems also started with a run after installing the new update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 18, 2021 9:08 AM in response to anniers73

I recently updated my Apple watch 6 to OS 7.6.1. I put it on at 8:45 AM this morning and at 12PM it is at 64%. For the last couple of weeks since the update, I cannot make it through the day without recharging.

I took it to the Apple store, they said my battery was fine, I knew that it charges to 100%. They had me unpair and set up the watch as a new watch and that did nothing. Maybe added an hour to it.

Before this happened I was able to put on in the morning at 100%, wear all day, do a workout paired with my Peloton, even go to bed with it on and wake up. I had to charge while I was getting ready in the morning but it wouldn't die. I expect it to die by end of my workday today as I really haven't been doing much activity other than working on my computer today.

I am to the point of sending my watch into Apple as the next step. This watch is pretty worthless if it doesn't last my entire workday

Sep 23, 2021 7:08 AM in response to LisaK7541

I have Apple Watch 4 running latest software update that experiences a sudden battery drain while using fitness app (running) and streaming music via Apple radio to Bluetooth earbuds. Otherwise no battery problems during the day. I start runs with battery at 100% and check charge periodically during run and notice that as miles go by charge will drop slowly as expected 95% —> 90% charge. And then *suddenly* the watch turns off and when it restarts, the battery is at 10%. So the whole drop in charge occurs in less than 5minutes. It seems that changing volume with the crown precipitates a sudden drain even faster.m but that maybe coincidental though it has happened a couple of times now.

I have unpaired/paired, done software updates, upgraded ear buds, and reset the watch to no avail. My next step is to send the watch in to replace the battery.

Anyone else?

Sudden battery drain Apple Watch 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.