Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch battery draining fast after 6.2.1 update

Since update 6.2.1 my iwatch 5 battery is draining very quickly within 2 minutes it has gone from 100% to 97%, then 97% to 92% within 5 minutes.

You can actually sit and watch the % go down like some ticking timer.

Apple needs to sort this out quickly as the watch is dead within about 3 hours. The watch is rendered useless.

No new apps added or changes made to the phone only the update.

Anyone found this issue since the update?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 12:53 PM

Link here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204568

click on iwatch app on iPhone.

once open click your iwatch, in my case Neils Apple Watch.

Then Tap the little i to the right of the displayed watch face.

then tap unpair iwatch.

then on your iwatch go into settings, general, reset, erase all content but remember to keep celluar settings when prompted. Once erased just reconnect to iPhone and restore from back up

80 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 12:53 PM in response to Rachclermont

Link here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204568

click on iwatch app on iPhone.

once open click your iwatch, in my case Neils Apple Watch.

Then Tap the little i to the right of the displayed watch face.

then tap unpair iwatch.

then on your iwatch go into settings, general, reset, erase all content but remember to keep celluar settings when prompted. Once erased just reconnect to iPhone and restore from back up

Apr 13, 2020 12:33 PM in response to Comus01

Hey there Comus01,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand you are having issues with the battery life of your Series 5 Apple Watch.

From what you've shared, I recommend following the steps and suggestions found in the resource I've linked below. They should help you get the most from your Apple Watch battery.

Have a good one!

Apr 13, 2020 1:57 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris,

thank you for the help however if you read my post you will see that I have made no changes or added any new apps after the update.

Everything is the same as it was before the update so not sure why I would now need to make changes just to maximise the battery life.

There is clearly an issue around the update making changes somewhere within the iwatch for it to start consuming power so rapidly. Before the update I did not need to recharge my iwatch until after around 30hrs of use. Now it has to be recharged at around every few hours. It’s not just me as I’ve found other posts in the community stating the same thing.

Apple need to find what the bug is with the new update and repair it.

Apr 14, 2020 5:40 PM in response to Stephen in Boston

similar issues since updating last week.

Started happening during the last week after I

updated to latest WatchOS 6.2.1 (Model A1978 44mm S4 Nike).

My watch will just be dead randomly when it should have plenty of life

left. Sometimes it will give the red/dead charge indicator on screen

when I attempt to turn it back on. Other times it will be dead, I turn

it on, get white apple logo, and then it acts fine for a couple mins,

then dead again.

My watch seems to be totally fine at the higher charge levels (over 70%), but once it

dips down below, it just turns off randomly.

Super frustrating. Worried this bug will snap my 700+ day 3-ring streak.

I got my S4 around release date. It's approx 17 months old. Never had an issue like this before with any other update. Have tried soft restart, and force reboot (both buttons 10 seconds), and restarting my iPhone (both ways, soft and force).

Have not yet attempted unpair/repair...

May 11, 2020 8:55 AM in response to bhat60

Here's a workaround that worked for me (from another Apple support thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250840427

Charge the watch for long enough that you know it's truly at 100% despite it's incorrect battery measurement/readout.

Power off watch for 15-30 mins (the amount of time is TBD, but I did 30 mins)

Turn watch on.

Done.

In my case (Nike S4 GPS 44mm WatchOS 6.2.1), this fixed the exact problem you described, and the watch started operating as normal once again.

Some people indicate that you might have to do this more than once;

possibly once a week. Not clear. I did it once, then it seemed to fix

my S4 for 48 hours (then I sold it). I was in the process of getting a

S5, so I wasn't able to test my S4 for more than a two days.

Prior to this, I did a bunch of other troubleshooting steps including force restarting watch, iphone, and unpairing/repairing watch. It's possible that the combination of those things was the fix, not clear. Apple doesn't seem to know whats going on here based on everything I've read.

May 12, 2020 5:20 PM in response to nismo95tt

nismo95tt wrote:

Here's a workaround that worked for me (from another Apple support thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250840427

Charge the watch for long enough that you know it's truly at 100% despite it's incorrect battery measurement/readout.
Power off watch for 15-30 mins (the amount of time is TBD, but I did 30 mins)
Turn watch on.
Done.

This is what worked for me! I documented my experience here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251360535

Aug 24, 2020 9:51 PM in response to QMich

I do have another bit to add to the puzzle. I also have this issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7016543#:~:text=Devices%20like%20this%20usually%20don,monitor%20is%20never%20getting%20reset.&text=Same%20here.,it%20can%20charge%20to%20100%25 When the watch is charging, it takes forever to get that last 1% and go from 99% to 100%. If I restart the watch and keep it on the charger, it goes to 100% so quick I'd call it immediate. I don't have evidence yet, but it's suspicious and seems related to battery management problems. Does anyone else see this?

May 11, 2020 2:05 AM in response to Comus01

I am having a lot of problems since 6.2.1 update

1. Battery remains stuck at 100% for a few hours and then shuts down
  2. Battery drops to 70% especially after a an outdoor exercise and shuts down, and if I use a charger the phone again shows 70% and charges back to 70%
  3. I reset the phone twice, did the shutdown and up again - but no use
  4. Removed a few apps, and some of the watch optimisations - still no use
  5. Had a chat with Apple support but no use. One suggestion was to use the power reserve option, which again is pointless having an Apple Watch

Jun 4, 2020 7:17 AM in response to Comus01

I tried everything without luck. The solution doesn't work for me.

I'm really annoyed with Apple. My three last purchases:

• AirPods Pro: Beeping sound on the right one it's making it useless.
  • Apple Watch: Have to charge it every 5 hours.
  • Macbook pro: Can't use the keyboard because it repeats "r", "o", "t" and some other keys.

Jun 24, 2020 5:39 AM in response to Comus01

When unpairing, the data is automatically erased.

after unpairing, you will have to pair again to be able to erase tbe data.

So what do you exactly mean?

1. unpairing - data is erased - pairing - as new - erase data - pair again with recovery?
  2. unparing - data is erased - pairing with recovery? (This last is what I did, but that didn’t solve the problem.

cheers Jim

Apr 13, 2020 9:30 PM in response to Comus01

After an update it’s common for your Apple Watch to experience decreased battery life. It typically resolves itself within 48 hours. This is a pretty extreme case fo battery drain, so I’d restart your Apple Watch by pressing and holding the side button, swiping the power off slider, and pressing and holding the side button again.

Apple Watch battery draining fast after 6.2.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.