Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting a hotspot on my iPad

Can I have a hotspot on an iPad that does not have Wi-Fi Cellular? I know that I can use other hotspots but I would like to have a hotspot on my iPad for others to use.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 5:49 AM

A WiFi Only model of iPad can join a Cellular hotspot provided by another device. A WiFi+Cellular iPad can share its Cellular connection with other devices - either by providing a “tethered” hotspot connection via WiFi or direct USB connection.

Neither version of iPad can act as WiFi Router - but neither should this be an issue. If the device that you are attempting to “share” a WiFi connection can connect to WiFi, it can connect directly to whatever network your iPad is already connected. If follows that if your iPad does not an active network connection of its own, there is no WiFi network to share.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 5:49 AM in response to angelovrus305

A WiFi Only model of iPad can join a Cellular hotspot provided by another device. A WiFi+Cellular iPad can share its Cellular connection with other devices - either by providing a “tethered” hotspot connection via WiFi or direct USB connection.

Neither version of iPad can act as WiFi Router - but neither should this be an issue. If the device that you are attempting to “share” a WiFi connection can connect to WiFi, it can connect directly to whatever network your iPad is already connected. If follows that if your iPad does not an active network connection of its own, there is no WiFi network to share.

Putting a hotspot on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.