Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 chip -- why choose 16GB vs. 8GB (MacBook Air)

Summary -- Do I really, really, really *NEED* 16GB?

Quick stats: I keep many apps open at one time (docs, spreadsheets, Zoom (or equivalent), maybe PowerPoint (or equivalent), Discord (blush), finances... etc. No games!!! No heavy graphics, no movie apps, no design apps.

I can afford the extra $ for 16GB if it's of any value to me, now or within a 3 to 5 year admittedly hazy forecast to future-proof RAM-hungry app needs.

Problem: a) The 16GB MacBook Air is *NOT* stocked in Apple stores. b) A 16GB is built-to-order in China and shipped directly to the purchaser. There is *NO* option to ship to store and no option to choose the shipper or for any type of secure delivery (signature or hold for pickup).

So, I have only 2 choices - #1 - order a 16GB, wait 2 weeks for the build and shipping, and worry about how to receive it (be here if carrier throws it on my front steps), or #2 gamble on 8GB and pick it up at any Apple store.

Opinion on 8GB for my needs, please. Thanks

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 10:05 AM

You may want to do a YouTube search for "m1 8gb vs 16gb"...tons of independent tests out there.

In short, "It depends on your personal use and needs"

I have an M1 MacBook Air, 8GB/512GB and this configuration was not stocked in the store when I purchased it in March but they did ship it to the store and I did pick it up there a few days later.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Bill Pride

You may want to do a YouTube search for "m1 8gb vs 16gb"...tons of independent tests out there.

In short, "It depends on your personal use and needs"

I have an M1 MacBook Air, 8GB/512GB and this configuration was not stocked in the store when I purchased it in March but they did ship it to the store and I did pick it up there a few days later.

Jul 23, 2021 10:13 AM in response to Bill Pride

Technically speaking 8GB should work fine for your described use, however, as it is not modifiable rule of thumb is get as much as you can afford.

However, if ordering 16GB makes very difficult to setup reception, then there's no real hard in just getting 8GB. Do note the unified RAM on M1 Mac is much faster and leveraging the super fast SSD for swap will also mean anything past 8Gb you may need can. be covered by the SSD and you probably won't notice.

I'm running a ton of ram intensive things on my M1 16GB MacBook Air, and I'm only using 10GB. So your uses, 8GB should be plenty.

Jul 23, 2021 12:43 PM in response to Bill Pride

FWIW, if you live in the US, B&H Photo (and probably a few other authorized retailers) have a couple different 16 GB MacBook Air configurations, example:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1604840-REG/apple_z125_mgn7_04_bh_13_3_macbook_air_with.html

If you search online I am sure you can find other authorized retailers that purchase stock of custom configurations of all Macs.

I have dealt with B&H in the past and have found them to be a quite reputable retailer.

And yes, if you have as many apps open at once as you do, 16GB will make a difference in performance.

M1 chip -- why choose 16GB vs. 8GB (MacBook Air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.