Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a user and keeping the files

I merged my PC with my new Mac.

Now I have two users on my Mac. I don’t want that.

I see where I can delete the user.

I want to keep all the files/ pictures from my PC but have everything in one user account.

which option in the attached image should I choose?

Thank you

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 9:21 PM

I recommend the first option which is the default option. All the files will be contained within a .dmg archive file which you access by opening the .dmg file. It also makes it much easier to move those files (actually the whole .dmg archive file) to another location if you wish and it makes deleting the old data easier once you have copied those files to your own user folder.

Leaving the older user folder intact can lead to confusion later on if you never delete the folder, but that is your choice in whether to choose the second option.

The third option will remove the user account from the system and delete all data within that user's home user folder as well so you don't want to choose the third option if you want to retain that data on your Mac, otherwise you will need to re-transfer the data either using a USB hard drive/SSD or by sharing files/folders of one of those computers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 9:21 PM in response to Splitp07

I recommend the first option which is the default option. All the files will be contained within a .dmg archive file which you access by opening the .dmg file. It also makes it much easier to move those files (actually the whole .dmg archive file) to another location if you wish and it makes deleting the old data easier once you have copied those files to your own user folder.

Leaving the older user folder intact can lead to confusion later on if you never delete the folder, but that is your choice in whether to choose the second option.

The third option will remove the user account from the system and delete all data within that user's home user folder as well so you don't want to choose the third option if you want to retain that data on your Mac, otherwise you will need to re-transfer the data either using a USB hard drive/SSD or by sharing files/folders of one of those computers.

Deleting a user and keeping the files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.